Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

Technology.


We have come a long way since the days when technology meant using batteries that were AAA to D; a long way.

When I was growing up, we didn't have ipods or ianything, we had transistor radios, and as I got older, this really cool device called a "CB Radio." A CB radio let you communicate with other people far away---like the next state over. Wow. Back then, my brother had a CB radio and he met people from all over; I remember his call letters like it was yesterday, he would turn the knob, press down the microphone button and say, "This is KBY3413" and then some other gibberish to let people know he was out there and ready to talk. Of course, unlike the wireless contraptions we have today, this baby was wired and needed a huge antennae--- it was on our roof. Why it was not struck by lightening I can't tell you---it was a perfect lightening rod.

Then my Dad bought the next big thing, it was called a "Walkman" and it had the clearest sound I had ever experienced. It had earphones with orange sponges on each side; under each sponge were the "speakers" that brought the music to life---unlike a transistor radio, no static and you could listen to the music you want ed to. Just slip in a cassette tape and you were mobile. It was amazing.

Move ahead a few decades and here we are today...we have ieverything, cars that park themselves, and every modern convenience taken care of, at least as we know it today. I can only imagine what's ahead. Then again, if I could, I would invent it, so maybe I have no idea what's really ahead.

Is technology always fool proof? Not for me. Yesterday the Chicago Bulls were playing the Orlando Magic. Big game, a key preview for the upcoming playoffs, and being played during one of the most beautiful days of the year. Like many TV shows, the timing was night right, so I set our DVR to record it. I made sure not to let any form of the outside world provide me with the outcome of the game---to me it was like watching it live. It could not have been any closer;  with 2 seconds left, one shot would decide the game. As the Bulls and Magic walked on to the court, preparing for the final shot, it stopped recording...as far as our TV was concerned game over. Luckily we have computers...the Bulls won.

The photo above was taken in CA on the way to Lake Tahoe. There was something about the car and the post office that reminded me of days gone by---when the mail was not delivered electronically and gas was less than .50 cents per gallon.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment