Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

Let’s try this again.




On September 1, 2008 I began writing a daily blog I called, “Snap.Shot.” I started it as a personal request to Sports Illustrated to let me shoot at one professional event—their choice; I wanted them to know if they need a photographer, I am their guy.  I didn’t care if it was baseball, football, hockey, basketball, or any sport they felt needed some extra coverage. Who am I to request?

For one year I kept on writing, yet no reply from Sports Illustrated. Seems like an incredible long shot that I would hear back from them, right? Wrong. I know people who work there, who actually had read my blog, knew my passion for photography, and still no phone call, e-mail or text. All in all, part of me was disappointed, yet part of me was glad I had written for one solid year.

What I discovered during 365 days of writing was how much I enjoyed doing it and the number of people who actually enjoyed reading what I had written. I think we call that an audience! I was very flattered, surprised and challenged to keep them coming back for more. I heard back from some I had touched with my daily chitchat, and while most remained silent, I knew they were there. It felt great.

Move ahead to April Fools Day 2011, this is not a joke by the way, and I have decided to give it one more try. I am going to write, or at least make every attempt to write, for one solid year---unless I get the call from Sports Illustrated that I am needed. Then I will end Snap. Shot.

It’s funny, about 2 weeks ago I was talking to someone at SI and after we hung up I sent him a photo via an e-mail. I don’t even remember which one, but I made sure it was good; he wrote back, “You need to go to the Derby.” I responded, “You can make it happen.” It’s been quiet since.

The photo above was taken last Saturday night at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, WI. The Chicago Bulls were playing the Milwaukee Bucks, and sitting 7 rows from the court, watching my favorite team, I was in heaven---1400 shots of heaven as the Bulls went on to win in the closing minutes. It’s good to have the Bulls back in their winning form, but more important to me, it’s good to be writing “Snap.Shot.” again.

Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments: