Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

The moment.


Throughout life we all experience moments that change our lives for ever. It might be meeting that special someone, who at that moment lets you in on a secret---they are going to be in your life forever; or perhaps devastating news that makes this date take on a completely different feeling, and meaning, from this point on.

This date, April 4th, changed course when I was 10 years old, and then again when I turned 51 in 2009. In 1968, it was death of Martin Luther King, Jr as immortalized in the song, "Pride" by the rock band U2. 

You may recall.

"Early morning, April 4
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky
Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride."

Then again in 2009 we heard, "The doctor's think there is something wrong with your Mom." 

How do I know the date so well? It's my birthday. It is also my first cousin Allan's birthday---and as I found out today, Jamie Lynn Spear's birthday too. (I feel so much closer to her now.)

These moments in life, at least to me, are the ones that take you on a different course; there is really little you can do to change them, so you have to learn to take them in, and make the best of what the cards have dealt you. In the case of my Mom's illness, as horrible as it was, it provided the opportunity to spend more quality time with her than I had in years, and it was much better than getting that call one day, when she had been perfectly healthy one moment and gone the next. It may not seem fair to say, but at least I had the chance to say "goodbye."

Then there are the moments that mold you forever and make you a much more focused and rounded person. For me, there have been many times I learned so much about me. Whether it was the births of my children, finding that person who rocked my world, or even becoming unemployed for the first time---there is little doubt I will ever forget these "moments." It's funny, I drive by the parking lot all the time where I learned upon getting the call, that I had been let go from my job. That parking lot, on that day, took on a completely different meaning.

I have tried to make a point in letting life take its course and place me hopefully in the best position I can be in---it's been rough at times, but then again I have learned from the experience. I am looking forward to many more moments that help round me out to be a better Dad, Husband, Brother, Son, and Friend.

The photo above was taken this fall at a local area football game. After the play ended, and the quarterback got up off the ground, I was asked by a couple of people..."Did you get that shot?" I said, "Yep...right at that moment he was in midair." 

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment