Search This Blog

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Quality. Time.


Two years ago today, we learned something was wrong with my Mom. It was actually on April 4th when we “officially” learned it, however it was on a Saturday, and it is only fitting to write about it today.

Today’s “Snap. Shot.” is not about looking backward, it’s about looking forward and appreciating what you have today and tomorrow. This past Thursday and Friday I was fortunate to spend quality time with my Dad. Although he is 30 years older than I am, it always amazes me how his smile and twinkle in his eye make so much younger than his real age. My Father is a very kind and caring man. In fact, during these past 50 or so hours together, he has probably asked me at 10 times “If I am hungry? “ I have assured him based upon my age and size, I know how to eat. But he still asks, and I keep on answering. 

I know he is feeling this time together is just as important to him as it is for me--I am so lucky to be here.

While at a late lunch yesterday, my Dad and I talked about a number of things; but none was more important than his explaining his need to keep busy. When you were married to the same person for nearly 60 years, you really do lose a part of yourself when your “partner, spouse, trusted friend” passes away. My Dad certainly feels the loss of my Mom---but he is doing very well for all he has been through.

I am not going to go into the specifics of what we discussed, but it was probably the most open, and important, conversation I have ever had with my Dad; even though it was April Fool’s Day, this was not a joke although we laughed quite a bit.

Last night I was feeling torn about leaving him alone as I went to the St. Louis Blues hockey game; I very much wanted to go, and we discussed his going with me, but I knew it would be too much for him. So I went. I felt guilt for doing it as I felt I had lost precious time with him. But then I learned this morning he went to bed at 8 PM, so my guilt subsided a bit. When I woke up this morning his first question was, “How was the game?” When I told him the entire story of the evening, he laughed because he could understand now how difficult it would be to go to a game with me and how embarrassed he would have been with my antics to take photos. More on this in another “Snap. Shot.”

I am really enjoying the quality time I am spending with my Dad; I am leaving tomorrow to head back home, but the memories will be alive for the rest of my life, something that a phone call can never replace.

The photo above may have been in a previous “Snap. Shot.” It’s of a clock that is located at an agency downtown; it is one of my favorite pictures because with one look it just sucks you in…kind of like the same way spending quality time with the people you love does.

Thanks for stopping by


2 comments: