Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Place in this world.


From the moment we come into this world, we are in search of finding our place. It’s more than just a location, it’s the feeling of knowing someone is there to guide you and make sure you are headed in the right direction throughout life. When that person is no longer physically in your life, you take what you have learned from them and apply it; the role then continues as you become the person selected to guide. It can be a child, friend, or someone you work with ---there is no clear-cut answer.

One of the interesting things about the individual who provides you guidance, is when he or she is no longer physically present in your life; but you never forget them and it becomes evident when you see someone who spurs a memory. It can be a moment where you catch a glance of a complete stranger and think to yourself, “that reminds me of so and so,” a situation where a gesture takes you back to a time that was simpler or special, or even a comment that makes you feel the comfort of having that very special person back in your life for just a few moments. Whatever it is, it feels good.

If you have been a reader of “Snap. Shot.” for some time, then you probably know this has been a year that has had its downs and ups. More ups than downs, but I am human so you can be sure not every day has been a 10. Probably, no check that, the most difficult day I have experienced was when I learned of my Mom’s passing on November 18th, 2009. Two days later would be the last time I would see her---but not the last time I would think of her or want to see her. (No I am not going off the deep end, or have visited a psychic, there is more to this story.)

I was flying home from New York this week, and about an hour into the flight I looked to my left and one seat forward. There was a woman sitting on the aisle who from the side reminded me of someone; I kind of shook off the feeling until I looked over at her one more time. It must have been a gesture, or movement, that caught my attention. After a few more looks in her direction, I realized this woman looked very much like my mother. It wasn’t just her mannerisms…she really looked like her; from the glasses to the hair to her clothes. It was weird. (I even told my sister about it, and she said she had yet to see anyone who looked like my mom. I guess I win.)

My sister, knowing me well, did ask, “Did you take a picture?” I didn’t because I could not walk up to this woman and say, “you know, you remind me of my Mom.” I did that one time with a client who I thought was older; I mentioned he reminded me of my Dad. Turned out he was probably 20-25 years younger and was not happy with my question. Lesson learned.

I know there will be many other times when I feel the comfort of seeing or hearing someone who reminds me of my Mom, and/or my Dad. I think it’s very natural, and to me completely reinforces the role they played in raising me. I just hope I am able to one day know the same is said of me when I am physically not around. (My Dad thankfully is very much around by the way!) Based upon the life I lead now, and how “I just don’t get it,” I have a lot of work to do!

The photo above was recently taken at Grand Central Terminal in New York. A woman is standing posing for a picture taken by someone else while many people walk past her. I slowed the shutter on my camera quite a bit, and she had no idea I too was taking a picture, and caught what I suspect was a different photo than what the other camera captures. I did like the effect. It reminded me of how when you are feeling very alone in a crowd, you have no idea of the number of people who have come into your life that mold your every day way of living. I am very thankful for the memories and what many individuals have brought to my life.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment