Search This Blog

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father’s Day---for my Dad.


For more than 50 years there has been one man in my life who has shown me the role of what it takes to be a great father—that would be my Dad. Yes, I have written about him in previous “Snap.Shot’s” but this is the most important one you will read.

My Dad didn’t grow up with a lot---it seems that was the way it was back in the 30s. You had the Great Depression to deal with, but you also had to find ways to mold yourself and be prepared when things got better. My Dad did just that. Growing up, he worked hard in my Grandfather’s grocery store and went to school when he was not working. In fact, he and my Uncle were the first in the family to go to college; he used this as a springboard to work his way up in a company where he worked at for many, many years. Like many businesses, it ran into challenging times and he was out of a full time job in his 50s. Not a good situation.

So what did he do? He started his own company along with my Mom. Funny, it lasted longer than his old company did and he was able to retire on his terms.

Some of my most memorable moments with my Dad have been in my later years. Sure, I had great times with him when I was young, but going on fishing trips (we did NOT camp), discussing business, and just knowing him as an adult has made me feel that much closer to him. I can think back of times when I did things that I shouldn’t of done---such as taking his change when he would put it on the counter, taking out his Bonneville or Grandville (both Pontiac's) and laying “scratches all over the place,” and probably the worst---faking a bee sting so I wouldn’t have to pull weeds. Sorry Dad, but if I can’t tell you this now, in front of the few readers who come every day to see what I have written, when will I be able to?

I will never be able to pay my Dad back for all he has done for me. There have been a few times when I have truly enjoyed giving him something that I am not sure he would have done; a few years ago we went to the Cardinal’s game, sat in the bleachers ate peanuts and hotdogs and just hung out. We also went to see the St. Louis Rams play the Atlanta Falcons (the two worst teams in the league that year) and sat in the front row right by the NFL photographers and the Rams cheerleaders. I was in heaven (sitting in front of the NFL photographers of course) I hope he was too. I am sure he didn’t miss the cheerleaders…I think they were nearby!

Dad, I am so proud to be your son; there have been so many times when I look at you and see all you have done for our family and it amazes me. Some of them are little things, and some are huge. You are certainly are one strong guy with all you have been through---and I hope you know, “I love you.”

The photo above was taken at a park the day of my Mom’s funeral. It was a day of very mixed emotions. We knew it would be. But it was a day where we could spend time as a family---one that my Dad and Mom created (and other Dad’s and Mom’s did as their children married into our family and vice versa) and spend time with my Dad. He needed us, and Lord knows we needed him. He is one strong and loved “dude.” Happy Father’s Day Pops---sorry about the Bonneville and Grandville's, they sure were powerful cars and their tire marks are probably still embedded on a street somewhere in West County.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment