Search This Blog

Monday, June 7, 2010

Learning to read.


For most of us, learning to read was something we did when we were about a hand and one or two fingers. In other words, a long time ago. I am several hands and a couple of fingers now, but those early days of reading were probably the most rewarding and important ones that have molded my life.

I am going to assume, because I can’t remember back that far, but I have a feeling my sister or Mom read to me when I was young and not able to read. I am sure my Dad did as well, and perhaps my brother, but then again, I can’t remember back that far. If my entire family did read to me, thank you, if not, I still bet you did. Reading to those who can’t, especially at a young age, is something you do because you know how important it is that they understand and learn how important reading is. It is also a right of passage for an older sibling to do with their younger siblings.

Every one of our kids has done it, and now our youngest one is starting to go through the motions of reading books. Like her sisters and brother, she is learning. It’s very cool to watch because it was not long ago that not only could she not recognize letters, she wasn’t even around.

I have known one or two people who were not able to read as adults; they could write, but the ability to read was done by site and recognition---but much further than that. I can’t imagine what it would be like as an adult and try to function in a world like ours without the basics of reading. I did see something like this situation when my Mom was ill; her cognitive skills pretty much all went away. This was my Mom, the one who nurtured me and taught me so much. I will never forget watching her go through this agony and wishing and praying for her to guess correctly---yet alone understand. It was a memory I would love to forget, but for those few days when I visited her in rehabilitation it was very painful.

That’s why my wife and I---okay, more often my wife---read to our kids each night; just to the two youngest ones. The older ones have completely grasped the concept. I do remember when our 13 year-old was not able to read; she was a little behind some of her classmates, and then it was as if a light switch went off in her head. She went from a basic reader to a fantastic reader. Now she reads more complex books than I do---and even though her schoolwork is challenged by a desire to hang out with friends, she is one smart kid. We have been blessed in this area---so far, the first 4 kids have demonstrated how, with little effort, they can do very well in school. (I am going to hear about this.)

The photo above was taken on Sunday at a swim meet; our 7 year old made it a point to bring the “yellow” book that my wife has been reading to our two youngest. Taking over the responsibility, she in turn read to her little sister. Glued to every word, they sat there and read for a while---it was only the next swim heat, and opportunity to play in the sand that took them away from the “yellow” book.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment