Search This Blog

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Summer reading.


Every summer our library and schools encourage kids to continue reading while they are on summer break. Like riding a bike you typically don’t forget how to read, but continuing the process helps keep you well tuned for the start of school. Hard to believe it’s less than 2 months away.

This past week we went to our local library and our girls presented a chart with the number of books they have read. Both were at approximately 10 books of what I recall totaled up to a 100 boxes to check off. One of our daughters doesn’t read yet so these would be books that were read to her---our other daughter had a combination of those read by her and read to her. Either way it’s important, because in the end they are going to do it whether they want to or not---it’s that important. Thankfully they enjoy it.

Summer reading is probably going through a lot of change since the days you would sit in a chair, open a book, and let the day slip away. Now you take out your iPad, go anywhere you want, and know in the back of your mind you can check your e-mail, baseball score or anything you need because it’s all there for you. The days of letting time slip away have slipped away.

I am not sure if they still publish it, but Esquire Magazine used to highlight the best of summer reading. What they suggested was often excellent literature---however sometimes it was way over my head. It was, however, always a good feeling to see the August cover and know this was recuperation time; a time when you re-charge your batteries knowing that soon you would be running them at full steam again.

Since the computer age has taken over a huge part of my life, I find myself reading less books, magazines, and newspapers. I now get so much of my information on line, subscribe to only one magazine, and one newspaper, and whereas I want to read a book, I have trouble squeezing it in to my schedule. It’s really too bad because it is a very enjoyable “habit.” Now my free time involves writing “Snap.Shot.” spending time with the family, taking pictures and sleeping. There you have my day when I am not at work.

The photo above was taken in Kansas City, MO. Outside the public library they have painted huge books on the wall. When you first look at this mural, you have to do a double take. When you see some walking in front of it, it brings on a smile. It really is cool---just like reading a book.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment