Search This Blog

Monday, June 21, 2010

Girls.


I don’t understand girls; by now I should be an expert at knowing their habits and what makes them tick, but after all of these years, I still don’t have a clue. Just when I think I have it down, and can guess what will happen next, they change and I sit their dumbfounded. Or in my case, looking dumb. What did I do? What did I say? Why do they do what they do? I have no clue.

In the beginning I find girls to be pretty much the same as boys---they like to run, play, color, etc. But then as they get older, and not much older, their habits change. In fact, they change a lot. It can be a situation where they are playing with their sister and are happy and content, and then suddenly they just change their minds and don’t want to do anything that should make them happy. It might be something as simple as playing with a doll, and once they have lost interest in their doll, they want the other person’s doll. They won’t stop until they have it. It’s brutal.

In some respect this is no different than what boys do, but for some reason it just seems different. Move ahead a half-dozen or so years and watch out---the changes that happen are startling. They start using make up, join Facebook and start wondering why they are not as cool or cute as the next person. It’s a wild ride. I doubt I will ever get used to it.

One thing I have noticed about girls, at least since I was a kid, is how they have become much more aggressive in dealing with boys. When they want something, they don’t hide behind some shy look, they go for it. And the days when they would have their friends ask if so and so liked them---those days are h-i-s-t-o-r-y. One of my favorite things to hear about is “dating.” Sometimes it’s just a matter of a few hours, and sometimes it’s a long-term commitment of a week. Last week a boy asked my daughter if she wanted “go out” (this does not mean a real date by the way) and when she said “no” he turned around and asked her friend. She said, “yes” but it was over with by the end of the day. The only people who could truly appreciate this type of commitment would be “divorce lawyers” but the courts could never handle this form of behavior so it’s not likely to become the norm.

The photo above is of 4 of our 5 daughters. Our 17-year old had to work the weekend of our oldest graduation. It’s not often they are all together---but when they are all together, they sometimes argue, sometimes are nice, and sometimes gang up on me; I will never understand girls, and I am really happy I am not one! I don't think I would look good with make up anyway.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment