Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

On the road.


When you travel for business, there is often a perception of glamour and the easy life. I am not saying that travelling is bad, but there really is a difference when you are travelling for pleasure rather than for business. Sure when you travel for business you do have the opportunity to eat in nice restaurants, stay in plush hotels, and even go out and entertain. Best of all, it’s usually all accounted for on an expense account because it’s business.

This week I was in NY. I guess I just couldn’t stomach paying ridiculous prices for accommodations that are overpriced, of inferior quality, and an inconvenience. So, I stayed outside of the city; I actually had dinner at a restaurant adjacent to a bowling alley and drove all around Manhattan to find parking while making calls. I have 2 words for all of the readers of “Snap. Shot.” about this experience---never again. I am still fine with not paying 3 times the rate for an average hotel, but the driving and food were really a hassle--- the food was not very good. I guess you could have figured that out when I mentioned bowling alley.

When you combine life on the road, with what’s at home, there really is no comparison. I remember when my Dad would travel to NY and other place, as he did often, I used to envision this glamorous life he lead. I suspect it was not as fast paced as it is today---but when you are on the road for business, it’s still business. Now, when you are out of town for pleasure, you have to stay in touch for business, so I guess there is little winning here.

One thing I am sure my Dad didn’t do when he travelled for business was take photos like I do. This trip didn’t offer the same opportunities as it usually does---there really were not a lot of photo opportunities like there are in a big city. (And if you are out in a less than desirable area, they are suspect when you are taking pictures of their town.) I was tempted to go to the top of the Empire State Building, but then I would have had to go through the process of going back to NY and there was no way that was going to happen.

I was able to take some pictures in between one meeting, but the photos I took were hurried and not ones I was particularly pleased with after I saw them---so either will you. One thing I am asked by people who know I am a photographer is, “Do you ever take pictures you really don’t like?” The answer, “More than the ones I do like.” Sure you have photos that capture the moment, but so many of them are just blah and you wonder what you were thinking when you took them.

The photo above was one I took at LaGuardia today. Having lunch, it was pretty good for those who are interested, I saw the “hook” that every airport has. It’s the hook of, “what did you bring the family?” This trip I am bringing myself home; if that’s not enough, I will have to let them know I do think about them and miss them when I am on the road. It’s not like I don’t bring things home from trips, but this time there really was nothing that caught my eye. I am sure the items in the photo would capture the attention of the kids; but for tonight, as I am flying back, I can only hope they are happy to see me, because I will be happy to see them.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment