Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2021

Hoops.

 


“Basketball Jones

I got a Basketball Jones

I got a Basketball Jones, oh baby

Oh, oh.”


It is nearing a year since basketball, and other sports, were normal. I have no idea if we will return to what we knew, but I sure hope I at least have the opportunity to either sit in the stands or be on the sidelines again before I go to that big camera store in the sky. (If I can find one that is still in business.)


Growing up I was not a big basketball fan—for a couple of reasons. First, we didn’t have a pro team in St. Louis until 1974—The Sprits of St. Louis came and went by 1976. The St. Louis Hawks had moved to Atlanta many years before, and that left a big hole in my interest. That was not the case for the Cardinals or Blues. As a kid I went to my share of games for both teams, I remember when my folks had season tickets for the Blues and the excitement the city had for hockey. Obviously that came roaring back 2 years ago when they won their first Stanley Cup.


For someone my height, I should have played basketball; for someone with my coordination, it’s best that I didn’t. Another true story, similar to my previous “Snap.Shot.” from a couple of days ago. Many years ago, I played in a pickup league; I played in every game, but usually at the very end when it didn’t matter any more and they let me in.


I went into the game, got the ball and went for a layup…of course I didn’t make it but I was fouled. Please keep in mind, I had not scored one point the entire season. Not one. So I went to the free-throw line, bounced the ball at least 4 times, got set for the shot…and it didn’t even hit the rim. I know people were laughing, I was too, but I had another shot and darn it I was going to make it. I once again put my toes right up to the free-thrown line, lined up the shot, and let it go. Again, true story…the ref caught the ball. That was my last game.


The photo above was taken when you could go to a Bulls game at the United Center. I had a great vantage point that night, at least for the pre-game, and when Benny the Bull was out waving the flag, I knew it was now or never and couldn’t miss it. Seems like a similar feeling I had when I went to the free-throw line. We know what happened.


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment