Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

The Anniversary of "Snap. Shot."

It's hard to believe, but 2 years ago today, I decided on a whim to start a blog. It all started after seeing the movie, Julie and Julia with my wife; whereas I can only tell you the movie was about Julia Child, I do remember the character "Julie" in the story wrote a blog. At that time I was aware of blogs, just didn't think anyone really read or cared about them. I have learned a very valuable lesson---some people actually do read it and read regularly. Thank you to all who do.

I am not being lazy, but sometimes it's fun to look back and take a look at what started this journey---at the time of my writing this first one, I can assure you, I had one reader. It was me.

Thank you to all who make this so worth it...I will be back tomorrow with more "Snap. Shot."

Here is the blog from 2 years ago today....Sports Illustrated must have misplaced my phone number.


Wednesday, September 2, 2009


I want to be in Sports Illustrated.

I have always enjoyed visual stuff. Paintings, cool landscapes, photos. I have been through the painting faze and have seen many cool scenes, but the big challenge has been shooting the picture that ends up on a bill board, in a newspaper, online or better yet, in Sports Illustrated. I have more books focusing (sorry for the pun) on some of the best photographers in my lifetime and before it. Whether it's Ansel Adams, Neil Leifer (this guy is awesome), Alfred Eisenstaedt (He was the guy who took the picture of the sailor in Times Square, NY right after WWII ended), plus the millions and billions of newly crowned photographers who walk around with a digital camera.

I am one of those guys. I love to shoot pictures. Whether it is a wall, a tree, my family, or the flag, I love to shoot pictures and shoot more than I ever in my wildest dreams thought I would ever shoot. But, I will likely have to wait my turn to make the pages of Sports Illustrated.

You probably know who their photographers are: They are the ones who carry the white lenses that are a million miles long, must weigh 70 pounds (they don't by the way) and capture the moments that we place on our walls, on our screens, and in our minds. It might be "The Catch," whether it is Joe Montana's pass to Dwight Clark OR Willie May's catch when he literally caught the ball with his back to the plate as he was running to the wall. I want to take pictures like that!! So that's what this blog will be about. If I ever am published in SI, I will end it...but for now I am going to go on a journey to capture a memory. What will it be? Have no idea. I would like you to come along for the ride. If it gets boring, tell me. I might not like to be told I am a total bore, but I will pay attention.

So, call this day #1 of the Snap Shot---enjoy the exposure to my world

Mark

1 comment:

  1. Your blogs make a difference...there are few who can say in few words and an image, that are worth taking the time to read.

    I love to take the time.

    Happy Birthday to your Dad, by the way. He is someone who always made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete