Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Change.




Look at me, Look at me
I am changing
Trying every way I can
I am changing
I'll be better than I am
I'm trying to find a way to understand
But I need you, I need you
I need a hand
I am changing
Seeing everything so clear
I am changing
I'm gonna start right now, right here.”

Change is tough. I know. But when you take the risk, and whether it works out exactly as you thought it would, or much different, you know you tried. I doubt many people try to change for the worse---so when you make a decision you are going to do things differently, be prepared for bumpy roads, wrong turns, and roadblocks. I had all of these and I am so glad I did.

For the first 4 plus decades of my life I was incredibly consistent. I knew pretty much what to expect, what one season brought and the next and so on. Sure there were tweaks---it’s not like I was in the movie, “Groundhogs Day” or anything like that, but I lived a pretty predictable life. Obviously this is personal, but I figure if you have been reading “Snap.Shot.” for any period of time, you know I am pretty open. I am not sure if it’s good or bad, but if you keep coming back, it can’t be that bad.

There is little doubt the biggest change took place nearly 10 years ago when the decision to leave my wife left many devastated and confused. We all suffered one way or the other, but as I look back on those times, and where I was in life, “I was changing.” Move ahead 10 years and my ex-wife is moving to Florida with her husband to be near her parents...and live a lifestyle that’s dramatically different than what she had in Chicago. I am truly happy for her.

During this past decade I have been really fortunate to meet a lot of new people, find my passion (photography) and blend a family. It’s not something I recommend for the faint of heart, but it has truly made me a much better person---at least how I see it; I can't say for sure how others view it. But then again, if you are going to move forward, you have to know there are going to be challenging times as you navigate the rest of your life.

The photo above was taken at the Morton Arboretum; I have been in this maze and others a lot more often than I thought I ever would. But like any challenge out there, when you know you need to make a change, what ever it is, it’s so important to have friends and family on your side.

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment