Search This Blog

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Things we said today.




You say you will love me
If I have to go.
You'll be thinking of me,
Somehow I will know.
Someday when I'm lonely,
Wishing you weren't so far away,
Then I will remember
The things we said today.”

As we embark on the 10th Anniversary of 9/11, the airwaves are cluttered with memories and images of that horrible day. As far as I am concerned, keep them coming.

Last night I watched Dateline NBC; it was a 2-hour show because it needed to be. Unlike what we experienced 10 years ago, there is a lot of information now available about was occurring during the most chaotic time I hope we never experience again. I will be honest, I am nervous about tomorrow. No I will not change any plans to stay indoors on a beautiful fall weekend, but I will be aware. I have been ever since that Tuesday morning a decade ago.

Like many, I remember exactly where I was when I first heard about a “small plane” going into the World Trade Center. As the information came forth, that it was more than a small plane, we gathered around a TV set and sat there without a word being uttered except for an “Oh My God” and “What is going on here?” We all now know what was going on.

What hit hardest last night as I watched the show were the comments by those left behind to wonder why? Children who were young and looking forward to years ahead with their Mom’s or Dad’s only to have them cut short; to husband’s, wives and families who were left devastated by what must have been the worst nightmare they ever could have imagined. To hear their voices, those who were calling to say goodbye, to those on the receiving end who did the same, it reinforced the need for me to remember---live life like it’s your last day, because unfortunately you never know.

As a photographer, I would have loved to have been in New York that day. I am not trying to be morbid---but capturing a memory, one that will haunt us forever, is something we rarely have the opportunity to do. Like other horrific events we need to remember—that’s a very important part of what a camera can do without saying “No” back to you. You can’t live your life in constant fear, but you can’t sweep it under a rug. Because eventually, the rug has to be removed and there lie the memories of the day.

The song above was written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney; whereas it is not the most popular one written by the duo, it’s one of my favorites. Along with the photo above of my Dad and family at home, for me it signifies the need to always remember those critical words you say to someone you love---they are the everlasting moments that will never be forgotten.

Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. Memories never forgotten! Like when we were young, and I would just walk by your house, and your Dad always had this great big smile and made me feel like I was special. Awkward moments those teenage years, but he always made me laugh and had such kind words for me to cherish for the day. Thanks for the memories...love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the Way....please send my love to Si. He looks great.

    ReplyDelete