Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tiny Dancer.




“Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band
Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you'll marry a music man
Ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand
And now she's in me, always with me, tiny dancer in my hand.”

There is little doubt, of all the subjects I wanted to photograph, ballet ranked high on my list. Yes I have written about this topic in a previous “Snap. Shot.,” but knowing how badly I wanted to capture a dancer in motion, it just made sense to talk about it once more.

We have a number of ballerinas in our household; no they are not always dressed up and ready to go on stage, they just like to dance around the house. I think it has to do with our new found music friend, “Pandora,” and the music it brings into our home.

Ballet is something our youngest daughter Sophie has been involved in recently; our two older daughters have pretty much moved on to other activities such as tennis, soccer, and jumping on the trampoline in our backyard (and friends.) Sophie likes to dance---usually on her toes.

I really do wish they would keep up dancing. I know it is a real commitment, but knowing the beauty and grace it really is something that for me is breathtaking. Would I like to see a professional ballet performed? Nope. Would I like to photograph one? You bet I would.

I have actually inquired about doing it, but the word “no” came out as soon as the question came out. I assume I am not the first to ask…but then again, if you don’t ask, you will never get the chance to learn if it’s possible.

As mentioned in the other “Snap.Shot.” ballet has been the focal point of many of the world’s greatest photographers. I think a lot has to do with the grace, lighting and challenge of capturing it all at one time. It is not easy, but once you know what you are looking for, it can be done. Not at the level of the best, but it can still make a parent or the young ballerina happy. Isn’t that what photography in many ways is all about?

The photo above is of Sophie’s best friend, Ella. Besides being a very fun girl, she can dance and does she have spunk. The next time you see a tiny dancer, take out your camera and capture the memory---you will be more than glad you did.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment