Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Trapped.





“I'm Leaving Las Vegas
Lights so bright
Palm sweat, blackjack
On a Saturday night
Leaving Las Vegas
Leaving for good, for good
I'm leaving for good
I'm leaving for good.”

This past weekend, when my Dad was in town, we went to Arlington Park, the horseracing track located about 10 miles from our home. With such proximity, you might think we would go fairly often, but that could not further than the truth. We might go once a year.

But I knew my Dad would enjoy going to the track; he doesn’t get around the way he used to, and I do remember that he and my Mom would go to the racetrack in Collinsville, IL every so often when I was a kid. It was my Mom’s Dad who loved to bet on horses---I don’t know how lucky he was, but if he was, that gene avoided me big time.

Horse racing has changed a lot from what I remember growing up; back then it was seedy and really not a family environment. Not that it teaches moral values today, but it is a lot more open and enjoyable if you care to bring your younger ones. We do and they always win. I mean, they have the luck that has completely avoided me. It’s okay---I buy the tickets, give them to them, and then shoot pictures. I am just as content doing photography because I know my odds are worse than others, and the odds of getting a good picture are better.

For example, while I was standing in line, I overheard a man explaining to someone he was with, “I did really well last week by betting on the horses with the higher odds to “show.” I said, do you really think that works? He said, “I do and I am going to do it right now.” He bet on four horses that had odds greater then 25-1. I thought, “What the heck, I will give it a shot.” The order of the horses as they crossed the finish line were exactly the ones I picked. Unfortunately they were behind all of the others. Lesson learned.

The photo above was taken in Las Vegas last year; whereas I am sure this man came to win, it appears he didn’t. Sitting on pavement, and singing for passersby, maybe it’s time for him to leave for good. I hope he can.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment