Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

An open letter to Sports Illustrated.




“Oh, put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
Look at me, I can be Centerfield.”

More than 2 years ago when I began “Snap. Shot.” I made a ridiculous claim. It was fairly simple---I wrote, “If I ever get the call, e-mail, or note from Sports Illustrated to photograph an event, the blog would end." Two years later, it continues to be written---and whereas I would probably continue to write, because I love doing it, I can assure you the experience of shooting for SI would be a major topic----probably more than one time.

About a month ago we started football season here in Illinois; as a photographer, you feel the passion players, coaches and parents have for the game. I never played the sport, but I for sure, understand the emotion that is evoked from being on or near the field. Before every game I introduce myself to the coaches and referees; it’s amazing the response I get from them. It also takes me closer to the game. I think they are shocked, yet very appreciative of the gesture.  It’s funny, because I am the only one you will see allowed on the playing field---I guess that’s where sales experience comes into shooting photographs.

I joke with the refs a lot---and the other night I was sitting in the end zone (barely over the line) and a ref nearly stepped on me. He said I had to watch out; he was 100% right. After a few plays, and several apologies on my behalf, he joked and said, “I was not worried about you getting hurt, I was more concerned about your camera equipment.” The rest of the evening was all banter back and forth.

I am not going to beg for the opportunity to photograph for this iconic brand--- and it’s not like I am asking to shoot the swimsuit issue (although I am sure I could get time off)---I just want to be a part of the action, where some of the world’s greatest sports photographers shoot. By the way, I really don’t understand women’s field hockey, so I think this might be a bad assignment in case you are starting to think about where to use me. (Just a point of reference.)

As a photographer, I am always looking for the place where you are capturing the specific moment. I find the angles that capture the raw emotions of a sport, and then start shooting like I will never have a camera in my hand again; for me, that’s what sports photography is all about. Who else does this? The photographers who have brought some of the finest sports photos to the pages and digital world of Sports Illustrated. I study their images. I have a lot to learn.

The photo above was from this past weekend. Honestly, it was not an NCAA or NFL game---it was BGYFL. (Bill George Youth Football League) Yet, Every one of the players, who sweat their hearts out, have a common dream; they all want to go to the next level. I may not be on the field when they step out in front of 60,000 cheering fans, but for one moment,  if I am, you can be sure I will have one big smile on my face—even if it is behind the back of my trusty Nikon.

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment