Search This Blog

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Home.




Home for the holidays,
I believe I've missed each and every face,
Come on and play my music,
Let's turn on the love light in the place.”

About 7 weeks ago, as we were preparing for our oldest daughter to leave for college, I thought we were in the clear as far as any new additions to the family. I was so wrong.

It all started when our oldest daughter in waiting was figuring out that she was not going to have her big sister around; she would now not be able to sneak into her room, try on and remove clothes, and sneak them back in after school. Suddenly she knew she needed something, or someone, to fill this soon-to-be void.

It started with YouTube; she would scour the site looking for videos of dogs. I really didn’t think much of it as I was adamant about having only one dog in the household. We had had two of them before, and it just didn’t work for our family. Then YouTube morphed into pet shop visits. I said, “I have no idea why you are going to pet shops, because we are not getting another dog.” I was told “yes we are.” I said, “Nope, not gonna happen.”

I was then dragged to the pet shop and forced to say “hello and hold” a puppy. I quickly put it down, and said…”This is nuts, and cruel to our daughter, because we are not getting another dog.” Period end of story.

What I learned of was a plan; the plan to break me down to the point where I was now feeling a level of concern about whether it would have an effect on our daughter, and her impending loss of a big sister who was going to college. I just shook it off. There was no way I would cave.

Meet Gus. Although he has had his name changed a few times, I call him by the original one he was given. They call him Louie but since I feel like I gave in, which I did, I think it’s only fair I call him whatever I want. I am sure I will lose out on this too. Who knows?

The photo above is of the puppy I swore I would not get; the funniest part about our having gotten him, is the person I suspected would think I was completely crazy was my Dad. I was wrong. He asks about “the boys” every time he calls---and I just smile. I have suggested he get a dog, but he is just not ready---I think I will sick our daughters on him.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment