Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Who's that man?



Fight the tears back with a smile
Stop and look for a little while
Oh it's plain to see
The only thing missing is me”

-Toby Keith

Nearly 10 years ago I did something I never thought I would do; I decided to leave the home where my family lived. It was not an easy decision, and there were times when I was not sure I was making the right move, but in the end, I know I did the right thing. For both myself, and the person to whom I was married to for more than two decades, it was a very difficult time.

By the way, it does not get much more personal than this so read on if you would like.

Move forward to 2011, and as I look back I see how much everyone has grown---from the 2 children from my first marriage, to my wife’s 2 girls from her first marriage, to the 2 daughters we brought into this world. Probably the toughest thing I had to encounter---no not probably, for sure---was balancing those who wondered what, and how, they would adjust to all of the change happening in their lives. I know they still wonder, and I know how much I love everyone of them.

This morning I was not sure what I was going to write about until I walked to the train with a neighbor of mine. She reads, “Snap.Shot.”(recent reader) so I am sure she is pretty surprised by today’s topic.

While we were walking she told me she was “pretty much raised” by her Mom and step-Dad. I asked, “Do you love him as a Dad?” Without any hesitation she said, “Of course.” That made me feel there was hope with my two daughters that are not “biologically mine” but as far as I am concerned, they are my kids too. Period.

She went on to tell me that the days of hearing, “You are not my real Dad” and “You can’t tell me what to do” will end. Whew. As she explained it, and I should know this, they are teenagers and they know how to push buttons. What really should I expect?

I know deep down I am raising them---as I have been in their lives for many years; but it’s the days when you sit back and think, “Wow, this is one heck of a journey I am on” and how we as parents want all of their kids to love us the same way we love them, that you just hope they all one day love you back the same way you love them.

The photo above was taken in the bedroom of our daughter who just left for college. Where it appears it’s 3 girls in one bed, what I see is the blending of several families; all of our children are not in the picture obviously, but in many ways they are right there sitting on the edges looking right at the camera, I just hope they are smiling.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment