Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Put me in coach.



“Since the day they got married
He'd been praying for a little baby boy
Someone he could take fishing
Throw the football and be his pride and joy
He could already see him holding that trophy
Taking his team to state
But when the nurse came in with a little pink blanket
All those big dreams changed”

Okay, I will admit it, when we learned we were expecting---again---I hoped it would be a boy. Sue me. We already had 4 girls, and one son, so was I really asking for that much? I guess so because into our world came a beautiful daughter. This was many years ago, and I am so thankful she is who she is; nothing could make me happier. (By the way, the next son will have an “in-law” right behind it.)

Having now experienced an all-girl household for nearly 10 years, I have learned a lot about how little I actually know. I had no idea that drama could occur on such short notice. In fact, we saw it just the other day as we took a walk with some friends of ours. One moment our youngest and their daughter were laughing, and then the next, well the laughter was gone. Tears replaced any happiness that had just been on both of their faces. Yet, within a matter of a nano-second, maybe two, they were holding hands and the tears had begun to dry.

What was it all about? They couldn’t remember. True Story.

As I am settling in to photographing football this fall---we had our first game a few weeks ago--we shot a number of football teams who played 12 minute halves. Only practice--but good practice for us as well.

Of all the players, the two I remember most were not the ones racing for touchdowns, they were the two girls who were showing the boys, “we can play.” One was the quarterback, and was good. I really was not aware of her being female until she took her helmet off and the hair flowed downward. (This is not the NFL where the players have hair that hangs out of their helmets---but in looking closer at photos maybe I should have noticed.)

Whereas it might seem likely they will hang up their cleats after a couple of years---that’s not always the case. Last year, when I was photographing varsity football at our local high school, there were 2 girls who played on different teams during the season. I was really impressed; what was fun to watch was they played---and played hard.

I am not surprised with the athleticism of female athletes these days that they are playing football, but when I saw one of the players on our high school team just signed on with Penn State (he is 6’ 3” and 301 pounds) it does make you wonder how they, as well as other male players who are well under 300 pounds, don’t get crushed. I guess they are smart and stay away. I know I would.

The photo above was taken at one of the Jamboree games; I am really hoping, as I continue to photograph her team, she continues to play. She is truly an exceptional player—and as the Dad of 5 daughters, nothing would make me more proud to have one of my daughters holding the helmet as long as they don't get hurt.

On a personal note...happy Birthday Dad.

Thanks for stopping by.









No comments:

Post a Comment