Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

Memories.




We all have them---they just come about for different situations and reasons.  For some it has to do with wonderful times, others painful moments, and for many a combination of both. Whatever it might be, capturing a moment is something that makes us feel complete.

Yesterday, as I was walking out of one of our local grocery stores, a woman sat outside the door asking customers “if they would donate to Alzheimer’s research.?” Whereas many passed by, and others gave change, I think we all took one thing away from the experience--- we said in our silent voices, “Please don’t let me have this horrific disease.”

Of what I recall, and I would have to travel back in time, my grandparents on my Mother’s side had Alzheimer’s disease. Back then there was an all-inclusive belief that it could mean hardening of the arteries, old age, and/or a bunch of other reasons for forgetfulness and repetitive questions. Questions such as…”Where are you from? Who are you? How is so and so?” All of which you answered  every time because you didn’t want to hurt their feelings and you prayed they would understand.

Now my father in law has been stricken with this disease. He is still in the early stages, but he is bravely moving forward and is doing everything he can to carry on with a normal life. He is not the first in his family to have the disease. What’s interesting, and it cannot be confirmed, is they suspect that chemicals being sprayed in the area where he grew up in Southern Mississippi may be a contributor to the disease. Several of his living family members also have it---creating either a greater reason for it being hereditary, environmental or both. One thing is for sure, in the end, the memories fade, the focus dims, and life in many respects changes dramatically.

We saw this with my grandparents. I sincerely hope we don’t experience this with my Father-in-law. He is a very bright, intelligent and inquisitive man who knows a lot about a lot of things. In other words, he could kick butt in Trivial Pursuit.

The photo above is the ultimate memory; the photograph you have no idea will be important until it becomes important. The gentleman in the photo was a neighbor of ours; he was kind, gentle, and always said "Hello" when I walked by. I didn't know him except to say hello---I wish I knew him better.  One morning an ambulance was in front of the house just 3 doors down; he had passed away. He is missed in the neighborhood.

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment