Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Just Fishin'




“I’m lost in her there holdin’ that pink rod and reel
She’s doin’ almost everything but sittin’ still
Talkin’ ‘bout her ballet shoes and training wheels
And her kittens
And she thinks we’re just fishin’”

When I am out and about I like to think; when alone with my kids I do the same. I think about what they are thinking about, what’s on their minds, and the special times that make up our lives together. Usually we are on completely different thought patterns, but for some reason we come together to share our experiences once they are through. As long as they feel like telling me.

At Lake Ellyn, we will go down to the water and look at the small minnows that swim as close to shore as they possibly can; try to grab one and you realize they are far enough away to escape your swipe. We have gone fishing there, but I shudder to think what would happen if we actually caught something. We would look at one another and ask, “Who is taking the fish off the hook?”

Actually we have gone fishing before---they had Disney rod and reels and I had a camera. As you might assume, in a lake this small you will not find too many large fish. Not true. We have some rather nice Carp for those who are interested. What are Carp? They are “grown” goldfish. Yep, the same fish we win at carnivals. I have seen some fish that probably weigh 8 pounds or so; we also have some really ugly catfish in the lake.

But today’s blog is not about fishing in Lake Ellyn, Disney rods and reels or ugly catfish; it’s about the moments that make the memories that create the bonds---there is nothing else like it. I have been to my share of ballet recitals, witnessed the thrill of teaching my kids how to ride a bike (my oldest daughter fell headfirst in the mud) and of course we’ve gone fishin.’ There is nothing like these times no matter how important the game on TV happens to be at that particular moment.

The photo above was taken at the Morton Arboretum; a small pond full of tadpoles that captured the curiosity of kids of all ages and one guy with a Nikon camera.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment