Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Connections.




“Sometimes I think about you
Wonder if you're out there somewhere thinking 'bout me
And would you even recognize
The woman that your little girl has grown up to be.”

It doesn’t matter if it’s the “woman that your little girl has grown up to be” or your son, we all want to be in the heart’s and mind’s of the people we love and want to be near. It’s human nature---at least I hope it is.

I recently had a business lunch with a very sharp young woman---she is 24 years old---and based upon her maturity level, she is way ahead of the game. She was surprisingly open with me; we had had lunch one other time, but there was another person from the company I worked for at the table, and I really didn’t learn too much about her.

This time was different; she told me she had been adopted and how she sought out her birth mother and other siblings. Who had helped her? Her Mom did. How cool is that? It turns out there was not a happy side to the story regarding her birth parents---one was deceased, and the other responsible for it. Her Mom had given her up for adoption because she knew with 9 children there was no way she could care for them all.

As I was told, because of her birth mother’s caring, and understanding, she has lived an incredible life. She said she is in contact with her biological brothers and sisters and they have welcomed her into the family. It was her openness, and pride of feeling good about herself, that made me want to write this in today’s “Snap.Shot.” Whereas I am not going to say her name, I really do appreciate her sharing such a great story with me---and as she described it, “one that could have come out a lot different.”

The photo above is of my nephew; like many children who are adopted, he is very fortunate to have found a new life where he will likely have a better opportunity than he might have had. However, like any human life, it’s important to know where you have come from, who helped bring you into this world, and that special bond whether you are together or not.

Thanks for stopping by.







No comments:

Post a Comment