Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Two steps from the big time.




We all dream of the big time. For some it’s being a star athlete, inventor, or movie star…and then for millions of others they are sure they have what it takes to be the next “American Idol”, “The Voice”, or winner of “America’s Got Talent.” We all know the road is long, and does not always have the outcome we were sure it would have, once we go there.

What I love most is when parents have the opposite feelings that many other parents have when commenting about their children. Of course they are proud and love them, but they are also realists. They know the likelihood of their son or daughter being the next Olympian, rock star, or screen idol is remote---yet they still provide the confidence their kids thrive on. Just with realistic expectations. To me, and I know many people who are like this, they are great parents. Am I like this? Not always.

Actually I believe my children have some truly remarkable talents; it’s just that these talents may not be marketable or appreciated outside of our family circle. But I do know they stand out from the rest of the pack.  One of my daughters has been out of the country for several weeks; when she comes home, she will have changed.  I am sure of it. She has learned what she has here in the U.S. is something to appreciate and to be proud of---I can’t wait to hear her stories. These weeks away from home have not only opened her eyes but also opened her heart for other people.

Another one of my daughters has guts; she is not afraid of much and when she sets her mind to it, she succeeds.  And yet another one of my daughters is brilliant---not confined to being just book smart, but aware of what life is about; she is still a little naïve at times (which is refreshing), but ahead of the game in many respects.  She doesn’t know I feel this way about her no matter how many times I have told her, so please don’t let on that I said anything.

Then there are 2 more daughters who have learned from their older sisters---they are inquisitive and have excelled at wrapping my wife and I around their fingers. Even though they are somewhat spoiled, I see the future as being very bright. By the way, that’s bragging. Of course the last one is my son---he has talents that are indescribable, but let me try. He is one of the few Jewish, white rappers I know of who is also a journalist.  Whew what a mouthful. He is a great kid---and solidly on his own. YES!!!

So will these traits make them famous? I doubt it. But in the eyes of “their” parents, they are world famous; they really don’t have to worry about being on the big stage, they stand on one that’s a good fit for who they are.

The photo above was taken at the annual July 4th parade in our hometown. What I like about this photo is the confidence this guy has; even though he doesn’t have a microphone in his hand (he has a tambourine actually) he is ready for the big stage. In some ways it’s a start, as he prepares for the next step of his musical career; however on the other hand, being on a hay wagon with a John Deere tractor pulling you, along usually means you still have a way to go before you play the big arenas.

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment