Search This Blog

Friday, August 5, 2011

BFF.




Sometimes you just feel comfortable knowing someone who has your back. It could be someone who has recently come into your life, or someone you have known for many years---but whatever the length of time, somehow, someway, you will be friends forever. Or as my daughters like to say, “a BFF.”

I would like to say I have many really close friends, but I don’t. I think for me, and I assume for others, you can only stretch yourself so far. Carving time out of your busy world is not always easy; so there are only so many friends who you can trust and feel so comfortable with---that you spend more than a passing moment talking to when it really counts. I know of probably 3 people, maybe 4 people, who fall into this classification of friendship.

There is one friend of mine who I have written about before in “Snap.Shot.” who I completely trust with my comments, thoughts and perspective on trivial and/or important matters. He means a lot to me, and I suspect vice versa. He is the one person I can honestly say can finish a sentence from a previous conversation that may have taken place months earlier. It’s pretty cool, but not common amongst my friends. 

I know of some people who love to have as many friends as possible; they are very personable and even though it would be nice to be in their circle, I don’t find it to be a comfortable fit. They, as I would say, are on the outside of my circle but still someone good to have a casual chat with when you see them. In other words, I don’t think we would go out of our way for each other to hang.

What’s really amazing to me is when you see your children begin to bond with other kids their age. What started out as playing next to one another and stealing (excuse me borrowing) one another’s toys, turns into a relationship that lasts for years if not for decades. It’s too early to tell of course, because 2 of my children have yet to hit a decade.

Probably my favorite moments are when kids say the nicest things to one another such as… “I hate you, you are mean to me, I want to leave and never see you again.” Then, 5 or so minutes later, the bond is back; when you ask “if they got over what their being mad at one another?” they give you a look of what are you talking about?

The photo above is a perfect example. My daughter Sophie and her BFF Ella, love each other and have for the short time they have been here; they now need both hands for calculating their age. What you don’t know is moments before this picture was taken, “she was being mean and she was not playing well and I want to go home and I don’t like her” and then 2 minutes later---BFF’s once more.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment