Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

America.




For many of you reader(s) who stop by for a visit to read, “Snap. Shot.” you may have noticed I can be hokey at times. Whether it’s writing about life’s moments that helped mold who I am today or life as I remember it growing up in the suburbs of St. Louis---I was a pretty simple kid and not a lot has changed since those days.

When it comes to reflecting Middle America, I think I fit the description; but nobody,  tells the story better than one of my favorite artists (actually an illustrator) Norman Rockwell. For me, he depicted American culture and all we stand for; from Thanksgiving dinner, to holding hands with the person you love, to the fear of going to the doctor---he got it, and delivered it.

When I was younger, much younger, I used to paint. For me it was relaxing, a challenge, and it provided blank walls with something to place on them. I was not very good, but I did surprise myself at times how someone who could not draw a straight line could actually paint.  Those days are behind me now as photography is faster and allows me to take more photos than I could paint in 20 lifetimes---and does not require drawing a straight line.

But speed was not a problem for Mr. Rockwell, he painted and he was relatively fast at doing it. I don’t know how he could be that good and still capture the feelings and images of America. He was incredible and his legacy lives on.

           About 30 years ago I visited a client in Indianapolis by the name of Curtis
           Publishing Company; many of you might have little or no idea what this company
           Produced but when they were in their hay day, they were huge. They published the Saturday Evening
           Post Magazine---they were one of the big 3 magazines. There was Life, Look and The Post. Today only
           the Saturday Evening Post survives but is no longer owned by the company.

When I was at the Curtis Publishing Company I could not help but notice the number of Norman Rockwell paintings on the wall. These were not your cheesy posters, these were originals; while I was there I learned that many of the originals (300 in all) were found behind cabinets and other areas of the building because they had so many of them without enough wall space. I was flabbergasted. I even asked if they ever sold them? They laughed and said, “No.”  Today as I think back on that day I still cannot believe I was that close to paintings that were created by the ultimate American artist.

The photo above was taken at our local swimming pool. Although not a pond or  swimming hole, this photo of a boy jumping off the high dive reminds me of the simple times I loved back then and still love so much today. Although I no longer paint, and take a lot of pictures instead, what they have in common is capturing a memory----something I try to do when ever hear the shutter close.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment