Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2011

The core.




“I know you broke up with him
And your heart's still on the shelf
It's been over two years for me
And I'm still not quite myself
You can't be with someone new
And you can't go back to him
You're beginning to realize
That it's sink or swim.”

Sometimes life deals you a hand that you would like to give back; feeling like there is a dark cloud travelling constantly over your head, you can never feel comfortable with who you are and what lies ahead. But above every dark cloud there is sun. It may not be visible from where you sit at this time, but if you have ever flown on an airplane, you know what is above the clouds.

Living in Chicago I have been fortunate to meet many people in the years I have called the “Windy City” my home. What has always amazed me is how you move to a new location, make new friends, and learn you both have things in common. Whether it’s the love for theater, sports, or food, the bonding takes place and it develops as the friendship moves forward.

Recently I have had conversations with people who have been more than open about their lives. Lost relationships and the pain they went through to deaths of family and friends---life can be very interesting. Yet, when someone asks, “What’s going on?” I usually respond with, “Not much.” But there is a lot going on, every day. But I often wonder how interested people will be in my life, interests, passions, and more? I have found the true friends are just as interested in my life as I am in theirs.

But how does this happen?

Living in a city of millions, how do you find the people who make up your extended circle of friends? I am sure where you work or live has something to do with it, but in the end it’s all about exposing who you are and taking the risk. Fail to take it and you are back at square one. I know when I first moved to Chicago it was tough; I rode on the coattails of others and honestly I was not always comfortable.

Funny, it still happens---but isn’t that all about determining whether you “sink or swim?” I think we all have swimsuits somewhere in our closet; if you are still looking for it, take it out, you might be surprised the water feels pretty refreshing.

The photo above is from the inside of the “bean” in Millennium Park in Chicago. Surrounded by many it’s easy to see there is a central core of those who will always be in the picture.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment