Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

“You had me at Hello.”




There are times when we just feel the connection. It might happen in a crowded room, a train, or a million other places, but once you feel it you know it---in other words, “You had me at hello.”

Of course most people might associate this connection to be one of “love” between two adults---and if you saw the movie, “Jerry McGuire” you know that Tom Cruise was hooked once he heard the word “Hello” from Renee Zellweger.

But the word “hello,” and its power, has brought many people together; I remember when our children came into this world, the first thing I said to everyone was, “Hello and welcome to our family.” A bit corny, but for me it brought completeness. But then again, I am sure I am not the first one to do it.

I have been fortunate to have said “hello” to many people. It might be someone I have met in the business world, personal life, or a combination of meeting a celebrity who I met on business but was able to talk to them like they were personal friends. Not too many of them, but enough to know they are fairly normal once you get over the, “I can’t believe I am talking to so and so.” Probably the person I wanted to meet the most, but didn’t have the opportunity to do it, was Sam Walton, the founder of Wal-Mart.

Although we did have one thing in common, we both graduated from the University of Missouri, the one thing we truly had in common was really trying to make people happy in the business world. Mr. Walton was a salesman like no other. He figured out a way to make people love him, and upset them all at the same time. It really depended on whether you worked for him, or wanted to work for him as a supplier. The people on the latter side, those who wanted to supply products in his store learned between that smile lie a very smart businessman. I truly admired that---but I know he also put a lot of people out of business.

About 20 years ago, I was hoping to meet Mr. Walton at the new Wal-Mart store that had opened near the community I lived in at the time. I knew he was going to be there as I knew he loved to be a part of grand openings. This was going to be one special night. When we got to the store, we learned he was not going to be at the event---he had become ill. I actually was crushed---but certainly understood. What I didn’t know at the time was Mr. Walton was very ill and only had a short while to live.

Today we learned of another man who is very ill and has had to leave his position as CEO of the company he started, left, came back, and made it the most valuable company on the planet. Steve Jobs is not well; he must be very sick to leave his position as visionary, business genius, and the best damn presenter I have ever seen. He is someone I would love to say “hello” to, however I doubt my time will ever come. I do wish him well and hope he puts up a fight like we have never seen. He seems to be that way.

The photo above has been in “Snap.Shot.” before, but is fitting for today’s blog. Just like Mr. Walton and Mr. Jobs, these individuals in the picture stand above those who are living in the world below;however, these 2 men, who had vision and intelligence, brought people to believe in their ways and today Apple and Walmart are some of the best name companies in the world. I wonder if when they meet, they will say, “Hello.”

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment