Search This Blog

Saturday, August 27, 2011

She's leaving home.




She looked so much like a lady
But she was so much like a child
A devil when she held me close
An angel when she smiled
She always held it deep inside
But somehow I always knew
She'd go away when the grass turned green
And the sky turned baby blue.”

Having a child leave your home leaves you torn. In some ways you are very proud she is going off on her own, in other ways you know it’s scary for both of you; then there is the joy of having part of your home back. It all depends on the day, moment, and feeling you are having at that time. I have been through it three times and each time is pretty much the same.

For me, it’s been about my kids going to college; when they did leave it was easy for me to travel back to when I left for college or left home to explore the next part of my life. Yes there was the feeling of the unknown, but I hoped I would discover something new. We have been very fortunate so far with our kids…and hopefully will continue to be.

Recently I did something I should not have done; no it’s nothing I am ashamed of, it’s something that photography offers. I looked at pictures of the kids when they were younger and as they grew. I am so happy to have photos because I know that having the images in your mind is great but you lose the details that truly take you back to those times.

I was talking to a friend recently and we were talking about life and what happens when you come to a crossroads; we have all been there. Kids are leaving the home, life is taking a different course, and the confusion of the future is setting in. I asked, “Do you have photos from when you were married?” I was told, “Yes.” I suggested to look at the and then look at the photos that made the family unit grow over all of the years since you got married. I have no idea if this happened, but if it did, it will be a real eye-opener.

Life has its great moments and then times when you don’t want to think about---it’s healthy to do both. Thankfully we all have the ability to remember; this weekend, spend some time gathering up memories--whether through a photograph, those safe and secure in your memory, or even a conversation with someone you have not spoken with in some time. You will be glad you did.

The photo above was taken at our daughter’s graduation this past June---although now a memory, I always knew, “she'd go away when the grass turned green and the sky turned baby blue.”

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Love it Mark! Just showed this to my daughter Shayna, as I did with the rest or your writings. I told her this was a boy I grew up with. She is 16. At times I think it was just yesterday and we were 16 talking about tomorrow...which is today. You have come far in thought. Shayna reads your words with a "Oh wow, he's good writer. I read it as, " Mark, you never lost your heart. Beautiful Family picts and words to share.
    Thank you for sharing. Robin Shapiro-Dubois

    ReplyDelete