Search This Blog

Friday, September 9, 2011

Summer highland falls.




“They say that these are not the best of times
But they're the only times I've ever known
And I believe there is a time for meditation
In cathedrals of our own.”

It seems every year about this time, we realize what is now staring us in the face. For states to the South, it’s hurricane season, for those to the West, it’s the time when wild fires eat up acres and acres of wilderness---and for us in the Midwest, we know it’s only a matter of time before the first flakes start to fall. I am not a fan of the winter, but being I live in the upper Midwest, I picked the wrong place to settle I guess.

So before we look forward, I would like to look back on what has been a really good summer. We were able to spend time with family and friends, learn of an experience that only happens once in a lifetime from our oldest daughter at home, and the trusty Nikon did not let me down snapping thousands of photos.  But probably the best part of summer has been how my kids have grown; my youngest daughter has perfected the art of tooth loss---my second oldest daughter is excellent playing big sister and being actually really nice about it…mostly. My third oldest daughter has become an expert at convincing the family we really do need things when we don’t—case in point, a puppy that I didn’t want that now lives in our home.

Then it’s the next 3 in line who are now living outside the house. Our 18 year old had the summer of a lifetime; she went to Rwanda, spent time with her boyfriend and prepared for her next stage in life heading off to college. The oldest daughter is making a life of it in Dallas and met Simon Cowell at a taping of X-Factor. Lastly, our oldest, he (note a son) he continues to thrive and learned a few weeks ago that he is not ready for “daddyhood.” He and his girlfriend spent the weekend taking care of an 8 month old baby---I think he was happy to hand her back.

So, as we now approach an event that truly turned our lives around, the anniversary of 9/11---I want to be able to absorb all of the events that have shaped my life since that horrific day. Chances are pretty good you might be seeing more of this in the next couple of  “Snap. Shots.”

The photo above was taken at our local pool. With the sun setting in the background, and knowing the season was coming to a close, it felt right to capture the moment so I can remember that summer will be in here in about 8 months. I cannot wait.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment