Search This Blog

Monday, April 16, 2012

The Circle of Life.



From the day we arrive on the planet
And blinking, step into the sun
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done.”

For many of us, and myself included, this is a time of the year I look forward to; for sure some of it has to do with the fact that winter is behind us here in the upper Midwest. Sure, there is a chance for snow, but it’s very unlikely.

But as much as I used to look forward to it, there are memories that have made this time of the year more challenging than what took place only a few short years ago. Loss of employment, family and other matters have cut out what was once the happiest times and made them happy yet with an asterisk. Yes dear readers of “Snap. Shot.” this blogger is human. There…I have disclosed my Achilles heel.

Now don’t get me wrong, I still love spring, summer and fall, it’s winter that will never have a favorable spot in my heart—unless I end up living in a warm climate and won’t care about it any longer.

I was born in the spring in 1958; actually as my Mom told me years ago, I was late arriving and when I finally did, I was big. But to hear her tell it, I was big, yet she was still able to walk out of the hospital with her regular clothes on. One of these stories I feel is true and the other, which will never be confirmed, I believe is a tale. I will let you figure it which one.

Whereas I don’t remember being born, and I really don’t think I would want to even if I could, having a birthday with the same numbers of day and month must mean something.

Just the other day on my birthday, when I was renewing my driver’s license, I was asked the date and year I was born---I said, “4/4/58.”  All of the sudden I heard a voice from behind me---“we have the same birthdates---year and all.” I looked back and I knew immediately we were probably not twins, but we did have an instant bond. We talked for a few minutes, shook hands good-bye, and walked back into the every day life we were experiencing just a few minutes earlier. 

It was interesting, when I met someone who I had so much, yet probably so little in common with me, I felt like we had a connection. I then started to do the math in my head, and figured out, based upon the number of people born every day, that I had many connections out there. I actually went home, “Googled” my birth date and found I shared it with many well-known people. (I am proud to say Arthur Murray and I would have had a reason to talk each year---I guess he could have taught me how to dance.)

Many years ago, when my oldest kids were young, I saw the movie, “The Lion King.” Although Disney has had many movies since, and some were very good, there is little doubt the song “The Circle of Life” had an impact on me. So many times I feel like I have gone full circle, and many times I feel I have yet to see a fraction of what life entails. I am not sure which I prefer more.

The photo above was taken several years ago and was likely in a previous “Snap. Shot.” What I find so appealing about it is, how in the circle of life there is a child---whether it’s a reflection of us today or where we have been or will be, it’s important to remember there is always something ahead for us. I believe I am going to like it.

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment