Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dad and his 'stache.



Waiting here for everyman
Make it on your own if you think you can
If you see somewhere to go I understand
Waiting here for everyman.”

If there is one thing you will notice about the men in our family, it would be the lack of facial hair.  It’s not that we can’t grow a thick beard or mustache---actually I am not sure if I can---it’s just something that 
I have not seen on my brother, father or myself.

When I was in college it seemed growing a beard was part of the times. I tried but after several weeks, and being asked countless times, “Are you trying grow a beard?” I knew there was not much hope of my ever doing it. I remember one of my fraternity brothers wanted to see if people would notice if people could tell he shaved his beard by on only shaving one side of his face---the other side had a full beard.

He went to dinner that way...and...

I am not sure if people were just not paying attention, or were just not interested in making a comment, but I think I was the one who said to him, “That’s hysterical.” It also let me know people don’t pay attention if it’s not something they are involved in; funny how this carries on into every day life.

My father-in-law has had a moustache for more than 30-plus years I am told. In fact, I think I have seen a photo of him without one but cannot say for sure. He does not have it to hide hair loss---that guy has more hair than some teenagers I know. Point of difference---his hair is
white.

Recently when I went to my son’s wedding, I noticed something growing under my Dad’s nose. I said, “Dad I like it.” Now you have to know my Dad, he is not one to call attention to himself...so when I saw it, I asked, "How long he had been growing it?" He said a few weeks but only because the electric shaver nicked him a few weeks ago and he had just not shaved there. “Oh really Dad, you have to be careful.” I knew of course that he liked it, but would not want to call attention to it. He is a really good man---I hope it’s there the next time I see him.

The photo above is from the wedding. Not the clearest photo ever taken, I had to crop it to get closer, but you can see he it is on its way to being a full ‘stache. I doubt a beard is next, unless the razor nicks somewhere else---if either one does come in strong maybe there is hope for me. I doubt it.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment