Search This Blog

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The ride of your life.





Fat man sitting on a little stool
Takes the money from my hand while his eyes take a walk all over you,
Hands me the ticket smiles and whispers good luck
Cuddle up angel cuddle up my little dove
We'll ride down baby into this tunnel of love.”

I would not be honest if I didn’t say this time of the year brings about some of my favorite times to photograph. Most people would think it’s because of spring, and sure that brings new and different photo opportunities, but probably my favorite subject this time of the year is the annual arrival of the carnival.

The carnival has many different appearances. During the day you find bright skies, families, and a very flat look to the scene. Toss in some darkness, the change from families to teens, and you have an experience that is as thrilling to me as the ride itself. The lights, the movement, and the creating of what appears to be an enormous platform, is actually quite small---here’s a secret, it’s the same size as it was a few hours ago during the day. (Duh.)

I have photographed the same carnival for the last 4 or so years; I did miss one, but I don’t remember when that happened. When I first ventured to downtown Glen Ellyn a number of years ago, I can honestly say I had no idea what I was doing. So, what did I do to learn how to take better pictures? I went on line and looked for the best of the best. They are all there and they focus (sorry for the pun) on the same rides.

I learned by leaving the lens “open” you can get the spin that looks like a Ferris Wheel is traveling at a hundred miles an hour when it is actually spinning quite slowly. The lights merge together, a glow comes from the ride, and best of all---if you don’t like the shot, you take more of them.

As a photographer I have been questioned about what I intend to do with the photos, was told not to take photos of the workers, and was essentially threatened that if I did take photos that were deemed invasive, that I would be removed from the premises.

So what did I do?

I became friendly with one of the workers who owns two of the game areas—I think he probably knows the trick to win. He also knows me, I have given him photos of his booth, and when anyone gives me a tough time, he says, ”He is fine, I know him.”

The photo above was taken in Chicago; even though it was taken during the day, it reminds me of growing up and when the carnival came to Chesterfield, MO. Just like today, I remember the carnival being so much larger that it actually is---I guess that’s part of what makes me love this time of year, all of the memories spring back.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment