Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Take a walk on the wild side.




“Holly came from Miami, FLA
Hitch-hiked her way across the USA
Plucked her eyebrows on the way
Shaved her legs and then he was a she
She says, Hey babe
Take a walk on the wild side
She said, Hey honey
Take a walk on the wild side.”

When it comes to being worldly, I can say with some complete honesty I am probably more local. It’s not that I haven’t traveled or witnessed a lot in my life, it’s just that there are some things, many actually, that I am not in tune with---at all.

Even though I may not have experienced them first hand, I am usually open to seeing, and being a part of, what’s going on that is as long as I have my camera in hand; my trusty Nikon has been a door opener and has allowed me to do things I never would have dreamed of being a part of.

Really? Really.

A long lens has allowed me to move from the nose bleed seats at stadiums to locations where if you are not careful you can get a bloody nose from being too close to the action. My ability to talk my way into situations has taken me from where the parents are talking on the sidelines to being down on the field. Sometimes I have even been "on" the field and I did get yelled at for being there. But I also got the photos I wanted. 

Then there are times when I have no idea how I got into the situation or why I am even there doing it. I have been to the Gay Parade with my family shooting some incredible photos; hanging out of a 16-story window photographing a marching band down below; and probably one of my favorites, up 103 stories in a giant glass cube, where I asked people who were directly across from me in another giant glass cube, called “The Ledge,” to start jumping up and down. They did it and I got the photo.

Photography has allowed me to step outside of my comfort zone, ask people to do things I would never have asked, and they probably never would have agreed to. But I had my camera in hand and they did it. 

The Photo above was taken the night of my son’s rehearsal dinner. No, she (the tall one) was not part of the rehearsal dinner; they were having a gathering at the hotel in another banquet room. What I found amazing about this woman, and her friends, were their zest for life, their desire to have fun, and their absolute confidence of walking on the wild side.

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment