Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2017

American Workers.


"I got a strong back, steel toes
I rarely call in sick, a good truck
What I don't know I catch on real quick
I work weekends, if I have to, nights and holidays."

For many of us, going to work means getting on the bus, train, or driving to a location that requires heavy "mind" work. But trust me, there are others out there who use their minds, and backs, to work in a way none of us could handle. 

When I was 16, I was able to go work at the company that provided our family livelihood; it was only for summers, as I was still very much in school---but boy was it a learning lesson. My Dad was an executive at the company, and because of his position, he was able to find jobs for both my brother and me. Although my Dad worked in the same building, he was very much separated from the offices where he worked and where we did--- we were on the loading and shipping docks. You see, we worked at a dress manufacturing company located right across the border of Missouri in Illinois and if you know anything about summer time in Southern Illinois, let's just say, it's warm and sweaty.

It was a job and it was very much one I appreciated---I was pulling in $1.90 per hour!

But, the money was only a small part of the experience; I met people who really molded my life. They had a much different upbringing than I had and for sure my life at home was more comfortable. Seeing them in action proved there are many sides to life and real benefits to earning every dollar that you were offered---this was their livelihood and they worked their tails off.

There were those who were in the process of recovering from substance issues, marital woes, and many other less than desirable situations. In other words, there was really no difference between their side of the tracks and ours---they just were unaware and looked at us differently.

Some of my most vivid memories have to deal with the antics of the loading dock---located at one side of the building---and the shipping dock, located on the opposite side. Men were in the loading area, and primarily women were the shippers. One summer I was on the shipping side and let's just say, as hot as it was in the loading area, I could not wait to get back.

Until one day...

Between my junior and senior year of college, I was working hard to get in better shape. I had learned that push-ups were a way to get stronger and my goal was to finally get back to a 34-inch waist. (I had had a 36 inch waist  since 5th grade.) One day, during break when all the guys would sit and have a cigarette, they caught me in the back of the dock doing push-ups. Their take..."oh he must need more to do since he has so much energy." Not necessarily my thinking, but I can see where they may have come to that conclusion. As luck would have it, we had a truck come in full of bolts of material---bolts that needed to be placed on a skid and wheeled on to the dock to them be inventoried and put away. For what seemed like 3 hours---probably closer to 2---I lifted and hauled the bolts of material.They loved watching me do it.

From that day on I was very clever when I did my push-ups.Here's what I would do; I would go in the men's room, lock the door and make sure they had no idea of my goal to get into those size 34 jeans while they smoked on break. When I finally graduated from college, I left this part of my life, but I never forgot how hard these people work for a living. Their stories did not end up well as most died at a young age, and that  left an impression on me that I will never forget. Oh and in case you were wondering, I did get into the 34-inch pants---for a very short while.

The photo above is of the factory where I worked. It is no longer a dress factory, in fact I have no idea what they do there---but I had to stop as I was driving from St.Louis back to Chicago last fall. What I do know...if anyone ever feels they can spend their break away from the others, go in the back and do some push-ups, you will find there is way for them to show you you're wrong.

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment