Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Cheeleader.




"When I need motivation
My one solution is my queen
'Cause she stay strong (yeah yeah)
She is always in my corner
Right there when I want her
All these other girls are tempting
But I'm empty when you're gone
And they say."

There are many people who come into your world and help you make it through your day, month and sometimes even life. Some are friends, family or even strangers who pop in when you least expect it. Today's "Snap.Shot." is not about cheerleaders who you find on the court or field, no these are the ones who cheer you on, guide you, and provide you with a sense of purpose.

Certainly at an early age the two people who were my "biggest cheerleaders" were my Mom and Dad. They guided me through the early years and never let go until the day they passed away. I will always view them as the most important people in my life. Period. 

But then suddenly something happens….you meet other people who actually believe in you. I had some teachers who, for some ridiculous reason, saw something in me. I am not trying to be modest here, but I have no idea why. I was a screw off and I say that with pride.

When I graduated college, I left right away and headed to the biggest city in the Midwest; my car was full of clothes, had no job, and America was smack dab in the middle of a recession. Lucky me. No actually, lucky me. The first person who hired me took a chance; he hired someone who had no experience, yet gave me an opportunity to be an advertising account executive. (Yes, all of 23 and an "executive." Uh huh…sure I was.) My boss was a like a grandfather to us all. There were many young people and he would gather us around in his office and talk—often times after 3 martinis. It was an adventure, but he took care of us all.

One day, about a year and a half later, I gave my resignation and moved on. It was to be the position I would stay at the longest and during the 26 years I was with the company, I had several people guide me and taking me under their wings. My mentor and I worked together for 7 years and suddenly he was gone—cancer took him away. I was lost. To this day I think of him and the impact he had on my career…what did we have in common? Well for one thing we both had the messiest offices. But he was the boss and that was okay. 

Since that time I have had many people who have helped guide me down my career path; some were good at it, some only did it for their own good. I am sure many of use have encountered both types. However, when you have someone who really cares bout your future, and makes every attempt to catch you when you are about to fall, that's when you know you're very fortunate—make sure you don't blow it. 

The photo above was taken at a recent college football game. For me, it once again demonstrates that no matter how much you think you can do it on your own, you will always need some one to hold you up just in case you happen to fall.


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment