Search This Blog

Saturday, January 7, 2017

The rest of your life.



"And I don't know about tomorrow
Right now the whole world feels right
And the memory of a day like today
Can get you through the rest of your life."


What a cool concept, living in the moment and enjoying it. For some of us it's likely what we do, for others, it's what we find difficult to comprehend. It's all about the future, isn't it? Actually it is and it isn't. We have to live for the moment and be prepared for what it brings, and we also have to prepare for next steps.

I am not sure what's going on, but over the last two days, I have come face-to-face with people who really are in need. These are people who are not begging, they are individuals who are having a bad day, week, month and much more. There was a time several years ago when I was not sure how I was going to get out of the economic mess I was in---as were millions of other Americans---but somehow, someway, the clouds cleared. This is not a "yay look at me" moment, it's an opportunity to say, "I understand in many ways what these people are going through in some way." Every day when you're going through it, you're not sure why it's happened, but you have to keep fighting--you just have to. If not for yourself, for those who you love; it's not their fault and it's not yours either. But it still sucks.

Yesterday I learned of person who recently found out he had cancer; as in Stage 4 cancer, where it's not looking promising, and to get your affairs in order. The family was not prepared for this kind of news, and beyond their world being turned upside down, they are dealing with insurance issues as he had recently changed jobs. (You can probably guess the rest---that's what "Go Fund Me"is all about..) 

Today, when I was in the grocery store, a woman was asking for donations; she had a milk carton on a table and was handing flyers to those who approached. She looked determined, and that she had been through an incredible amount of personal stress. I must be able to read people well, she had recently lost her son to a drug overdose and was starting a non-profit retail outlet to help others who are in need. She said, "there's nothing I can do to bring him back, but I am going to do everything I can to help others not have it happen to them." Can you imagine the guts this woman has? I can, I met her and donated.

Okay, so let's lift this blog up a little bit.

I am personally working hard to live "more in the moment." For example, I am writing "Snap. Shot." again. Why?  I missed my old friend and decided to challenge myself to see if I could do it again. Whereas I am a bit rusty, I am working on getting back into the groove. Stick with me on this journey, I will do all I can to make it worthwhile. You don't have to "stop by" everyday---but there's a very good chance something will be there waiting for you when you do. (Just know it's possible I might miss a day every once in a while.)

The photo above was taken at a truck stop somewhere between Illinois and Massachusetts--it was a very long ride and I don't remember. I have mentioned this before, but the movie "Big" was one I really connected with a long time ago. Maybe it's because I have had trouble with the concept of growing up or perhaps I have always drifted back to times long ago. Whatever the reason, I do feel one way or the other, I will do something worthwhile this year to appreciate the moment I live in.

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment