Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2017

Love is all around.




"Who can turn the world on with her smile?
Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
Well it's you girl, and you should know it
With each glance and every little movement you show it
Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it 
You're gonna make it after all."

She left us this week; I didn't even know she was ill. I guess when we haven't seen someone in a while we lose touch. But when we hear of a passing, we suddenly are reminded of the memories we have not thought about in a long time.

They say that "things often come in three's." I am sure it is just a coincidence, but recently it seems maybe "fives or sixes" are more like it. Since December there have been many losses that occurred and they came within a small space of time.

The loss of Mary Tyler Moore really hit people hard.  We knew her, of course from a distance, but she was part of our lives. A voice that was well recognized without even having to see who was speaking because it was so unique and she was Mary. She came into our homes a few different ways in our lives: she was Rob Petrie's wife, a few years later we knew her as Mary Richards, a single woman living in the Twin Cites AKA Minneapolis, MN—and we also saw her on the big screen. The one thing I remember about her, she smiled a lot—she was believable.

I would have liked to have met her. I am sure it would have been just a casual, "Hi, how are you, nice to meet you" passing, but it would have been special. She was a person who set a tone for women, who before her, were usually in the background. With all the women in my life, they feel her impact.

This past week I was in Minneapolis; in fact, I was there the night she passed away. Many people have no idea where Minneapolis, or Minnesota are located on the map. We talked about it in meetings this week. But once you spend time there, you quickly find out Minnesotans are just fine with being unknown. They know they have something very special and if you want to be a part of it that's fine with them, if not, they'll say, "we understand." It's also known as "Minnesota nice." They are!

The photo above is of the Mary Tyler Moore statue located in the hear of the city. Up until recently it had been out of doors and accessible for anyone who wanted to "make it all seem worthwhile" any time of day; it's only recently that it was moved indoors during a construction project. Although I had to Google it's location, something inside me knew…I would have gone anywhere in the city to reassure myself that I was "gonna make it after all."

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment