Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2017

Home. Less.




"She calls out to the man on the street 
He can see she's been crying 
She's got blisters on the soles of her feet 
She can't walk but she's trying."

Living in a big city we sometimes ignore time and place. Whether it's an iPhone playing music or sending texts, we go to places well beyond our surroundings and ignore everything. This can be good for daydreaming and catching up on irrelevant chat, but for those who need our attention, good luck..

It's cold this time of year. Maybe not to the South or the West, but here in Mid-central America, we deal with whatever Mother Nature tosses our way. When we slip inside our warm cars, homes or beds, we feel the comfort we yearn for. But what about those who have no car, home, or bed? They're literally out in the cold.

I have never been displaced. There are times when I was not sure what was going to happen in my world, but I have never feared being homeless. To me that would be frightening of course—not as frightening as going to jail—but pretty darn close. I am not preparing for either, but when you do see those who are down on their luck, it's not a bad idea to "Thank your lucky stars" and also help where you can.

Recently, while I was walking through the city, I had a young couple come up to me and ask for money. They must have known I had just come from the bank. Something was odd about it, they didn't appear to be in need. I was not going to ask them to prove it, and of course the ATM I use only gives out $20 bills, so I looked at both of them and said, "Here you go." Their eyes almost came out of their sockets; the warmth inside me was like a radiator. I was happy to help.

Move forward less than one week and sure enough there they are again. They asked for some help, I had not been to the ATM, but I did say, "You may not remember me, but I gave you $20 on Friday of last week." The woman said, "Your that guy! You helped us get a meal at McDonald's that night." They would have had to be really hungry to spend that much at Mickey D's so I didn't ask. I explained that I didn't have any money (I really didn't) and they said, "We completely understand, you gave us our meal for the day." Can you imagine? I can't.

The photo above is of a couple who have been on Michigan Avenue recently. They stick out because he plays a pink violin and are sitting on cement. As it turns out, he is a very good musician, but just picked the wrong place to call home as it is too cold outside.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment