Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The one in the crowd.



"There's one in every crowd
Brings the party in us out
Good time Charlie with a Harley."

We've all been there. Whether it's a meeting, gathering, or even a football game, there's usually someone who stands out from the rest of the pack. Some of us love it, some of us dread it, but when you have a Nikon in your hand, you thrive for the moment.

This past November, I fulfilled a bucket list wish. Most people might think, "That's on your bucket list?" I would simply say, Yep, big time." You see, I photographed the Iowa State V. Oklahoma football game in Ames, IA and was on the field.

For more than 6 years I have been photographing sports at a local level. Primarily High School football, but sometimes basketball, soccer, hockey and even professional games from the stands. In other words, I had to pay to do it. 

I am fine with paying, but my desire was to one day be one of "them." You have most likely seen "them" at games,  they're the photographers on the field at college and professional sporting events. They're also the ones who have monopods(sticks),huge lenses and cameras that outweigh most newborn children—-they are seen as those who really know what they're doing. In comparison with us "wanna-bees" who are just that…"want to be" on the field but never get the chance.

Getting to this moment was not easy. For me it took connections and follow-up/light begging; I let the school know I was experienced and would not do anything stupid. It almost didn't happen, I won't get into it, but the stars aligned and suddenly I was there right next to the guys who photograph every game, know the players, and are the usual's with the gigantic lenses. Right next to them...there I was.. little ol' me.

As a photographer I think I shoot in an "unusual manner." When everyone else is standing, I am on the ground with my camera praying I don't get stepped on—-but for me, it's all about the angles. When I was in the corner of the end zone during the first half, I was inches away from being kicked by a cheerleader. The worst part of the experience, she said, "I am sorry sir, I'll be careful not to kick you." Kaboom. I am old.

Adding a little more drama to the event, it was being nationally televised over ESPN and if I were to go out on a stretcher, there was a better than average chance it would end up on the bloopers tape.

Then it happened.

As I was walking from one side of the field to the other during half time, I noticed a man wearing a leather helmet; this was a photo I had to have. I went up and asked if I could take his picture? He said, "One moment" and called for his son to join him. He too had a leather helmet on. I thought, "What century am I in?"

The photo above is the picture I took of the man and his son; as I always say to people, "If you give me your email address I'll send you a copy." He did and I walked on. When I returned to Chicago I sent him a copy and asked him what was up with the leather helmets? It's a story I will discuss in a future "Snap. Shot." but for now, let's just say out of the thousands people in the stands that November evening, "he was the one in the  crowd."

Thanks for stopping by.


6 comments:

  1. This is a picture like no other.Sooner fans have lived through these two all year with their travels.Thank you sir for seeing these two as they lived a dream like no other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was seriously a one in 60,000 chance. Bill and JT are real fans and they are one special father/son "team."

      Delete
  2. Tears of happiness! Father and son team for sure making priceless memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome story I talk to Bill on my Sooners fan group on Facebook thank you for doing a story on him and JT

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so much fun to write about Bill and JT. They are well beyond the usual fans; seeing what they do together and their relationship---I am glad you enjoyed it as much as I did writing it.

    ReplyDelete