Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2017

The Whole World's Watching.



“Someday you will see how long
We've been waiting for the time
To show you how we've died
To get together with you all.”

Unless you have decided to turn off all forms of media today, you know it’s a day that is being discussed and most likely will be for some time to come. Whatever your feelings on recent happenings with our change in government, it’s actually a good reminder of what freedom of expression is all about and why we should be thankful.

I am not going to discuss the issues here, you most likely know what they are and have your opinions

Today’s “Snap.Shot.” is about being involved in a moment in history. It doesn’t matter what side you’re on, it’s all about being on a side and having conviction. There’s also something else that should be considered; if someone decides to capture an event, and uses a camera to do it, maybe we are doing it to be involved in the moment and not just a statement. For me, that’s one of the reasons I was in downtown Chicago this morning.

This year I have been able to fulfill several of my bucket list wishes. What’s funny is, up until this morning, I had not planned to attend. I was going to go to a movie and photograph a basketball game. With 52 minutes to spare before the train left for the city, I said, “I am going.” I have wanted to photograph what I perceived would be “historical moments” and this was my chance. This may not be at the same level as other events, but for me I was really glad I did it. (I was surprised by the number of people attending; once again, they had miscalculated the crowds before arrival.) The last time this happened was when the Chicago Blackhawks one the Stanley Cup—the original estimates were a bit short…by 1.5 million people.

Having the opportunity to photograph this march today was much easier than I had anticipated. I was not sure who was going to show up; would it be an aggressive crowd, passive group—-I really didn’t know. What I can say…people were very spirited but calm; I spoke with some police officers and I suspect they felt this was much calmer than a typical IKEA opening.

I am optimistic  America will come together and be one. I know it’s a stretch, and know the last time we saw this was 9/11, but I am hopeful we can work together to bring America back into a better space. It will take time, and we will take steps forward and back, but that’s okay. All I would like to do is capture it with my trusty Nikon…because selfishly, I think it matters.

The photo above was taken this afternoon in downtown Chicago. The signs were fairly explicit, and reflected to tone and mood of many American’s, but in the end we are all better for being able to express who we are and what we believe. In my world, chalk another one up on the old bucket list. 

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment