Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Star of the Show.



"'Cause everywhere we go girl, you're the star of the show
And everybody's wondering and wanting to know
What's your name, who's that girl
With the prettiest smile in the world?"

For the second year, this past December, I was in the production of "The Nutcracker."  Seriously. I know, I was surprised too.

It all started when I received an email and "learned" that I was one of the parents in the opening scene. I was surprised--check that, shocked--because I had no idea I was being considered. My wife did. She was kind enough to volunteer my time as she knew my two daughters (who were in the play) were going to love it. I was terrified...I have never been on stage nor did I want to be. 

What was eye opening for me, as a parent in the background, was how much goes into these performances; you have to imagine the stage setup without it being there, talk with out speaking, and this year, we had to dance. I am not a dancer and it came through loud and clear. One of my associates came to the play with her family, took a video and shared it with our team. Next, year I will give her the wrong date if she plans on coming again---that is, if I am in it again.

As I sit watching the Golden Globe Awards, actually listening to my daughters comment on the show (I am not interested at all), I do have a deep appreciation for the actors/actresses who obviously have immense talent and are much more famous than I ever will be---or care to be. The ability to transfer into a character, stay there and then move on to the next project they sign on for... is pretty amazing.

But it all has to start long before they collect their Golden Globe, Oscar, or whatever comes their way. It starts on a very local level with smiles, tears and dreams. Of course winning the lead role is what many want, but there are many who just want to take the step, a huge one for them, on to the stage. Over the past several years, I have photographed young, aspiring, gifted teenagers who have dreams of the stage; best of all, I have seen them grow and blossom into incredible performers. They sing, dance, and make you wonder---"How are they so good at such a young age?"

For me, I am very comfortable behind a Nikon camera; I am constantly in awe of the complexity it captures, and more important, the magic that happens from a simple push of a button. When it comes to being in front of the camera, that's a different story. It's not easy to have to be "on"all the time--and no matter how talented others say you are, there's the humbling feeling that someone wants your spot. You have to keep on pressing...the best really do.

The photo above was taken at this year's peformance of "The Nutcracker," these are my daughters who were both in the play. I am not sure how many kids participated, but all worked hard to deliver the performances of their young lives. Me on the other hand, it was on the day of the performance, literally moments before, when I finally figured out where I was supposed to be on the stage. I saved the label of the "star of the show" to those who truly deserved it---because for every young performer, they are stars.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment