Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

60 years ago today.



On May 16, 1950, Barbara Ellen Kessler and Simon Rosenbaum, both from St. Louis, Missouri tied the knot. Of what I am told it was a fairly simple ceremony, but the outcome turned out to be a very rich union between a man and a woman. Over several decades some amazing things happened---but I would assume, and hope, the 1950s were the decade with the most impact on their lives.

Why?

All three of their children were born---at least I hope this was a good decade for my folks!

Marriage in the 50s was the next logical step after high school and/or college; if you went to college that is. Back then the pattern seemed to go like this---you would get married (unless you were known as a “spinster”) and quickly would begin to start planning a family. These were times when many women didn’t work and the man was the sole “bread winner.”

It was not until the 1970s that our family had two incomes---this change happened when my Mom went to work at Stix, Baer & Fuller---a local retailer that was eventually purchased by Dillard’s Department Stores. My Mom worked in the ladies hosiery department and boy could that woman sell. When she would come home, she would tell us stories about the happenings at “Stix.” She was really into it.

We would hear about the hosiery sales, how many pairs she sold, and of course the best part…the latest gossip at the store. Because it would not be funny to you, and is an inside family joke, I won’t bring up stories about “Big” Jim Kinney, Mr. Bono, or—and even though he was outside the Stix family of workers---her beautician, “Dique.” These stories were probably what made us three kids come to the dinner table---that and my Mom was an excellent cook! (My Dad has now taken over that role.)

Speaking of my Dad. He worked at a dress manufacturing company known as Martha Manning, Co. His office was located about 40 miles from our home and when he was not travelling out of town, he drove there every day. My Dad is more reserved than my Mom, but we did hear some interesting stories about the people who worked at the plant. Probably one of my favorite “characters” (it’s fitting) was the self proclaimed “VP of Shipping” Ross Rodenbaugh who headed up the shipping and loading dock. Now to say Ross was a “character” is the “only” way to describe him. Here is a man who had no teeth, looked like Abe Lincoln (although he was shorter) and best of all, “claimed” to have been hit from behind by another car travelling in excess of 75 MPH---he lived. Oh by the way, I forgot to mention, Ross had a habit of exaggerating.

Ross did have a sad ending, of what he was in another auto accident and in this one, he was not quite as lucky. (I don’t recall the exact details, but I am sure he is running a loading dock up in heaven.)

The photos above have very special meaning to our family; the one on the bottom is of my Mom, her Mom and other family members. I am not 100% sure of my Mom’s family photo I am quite sure who is in the photograph on the top photo. This is a picture of my Dad and his family; he is the younger boy and next to him is his brother, my Uncle Joe, and my grandparents. This is why I love photography---because if we didn’t have these pictures we would only be able to keep their images in our memories and not a physical picture.

I am writing this blog today in honor of my parent’s 60th wedding anniversary. This is the first anniversary without my Mom; but you can be sure somewhere she is telling my father how much she loves and adores him---and the coolest thing, for 60 years they have felt this way about one another.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment