Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

Country Music.


For many years I was embarrassed to admit that I liked country music. People would ask, “How, and why, would you ever listen to it?” I went on to explain, “It all happened in a cab in Chicago.” If that doesn’t cause a perplexing look, nothing will.

Probably around 1990, I was riding in a cab when I asked the driver, “Who is this singing?” I was told, “It’s Randy Travis.” I had heard of him, but had never really heard anything more than his name. Listening to this song I thought, “this isn’t as bad as I thought it would be.” So, when I went home that night, or shortly thereafter, I turned the radio dial to our local country music station, US99, and gave it a further listen. I, of course, turned it back to previous station before I turned the car off---wouldn’t want anyone knowing what I was listening to. It was just a test anyway or so I thought.

One listen turned to frequency… and those early days of “casual listening” lead to country music becoming my favorite music format. As I have liked to explain it, “Country music is like scotch, it takes a while to acquire the taste.” (Yes that could be the making of a country music song!) Since that cab ride I have purchased more cassette tapes, CD’s, and music off iTunes than I ever would have thought I would. Remember, this is country music and I am a suburban Jewish guy after all. I know nothing about living in the country, having a dog named “Blue,” or driving a truck. (The last time I drove a truck was when I moved from one house to another, and while I was parking it after hours at the rental location, I scratched the side of it.)

I knew I was hooked when my daughter and I went to our local fair one summer and listened to one of the acts play---his name was Toby Keith. This fair also had rock and roll acts, but we didn’t see them---we went to see this new guy who sang a song about “wishing he were a cowboy.” Today, probably 15 years later, we still talk about that night and how much fun it was---and today, Toby Keith is one of the biggest country stars.

The photo above was taken in Las Vegas last week. It brought back memories of New York City about 10 years ago. I was there for a meeting and was in a cab travelling through Central Park. I asked, “What’s going on?” He was not sure who Garth Brooks was, but said, “This man is going to be playing in Central Park next week.” If you recall the concert, more than 1 million people showed up to experience country music in New York City. Probably unimaginable for Garth Brooks to imagine---as he was a long way from Oklahoma and the honky-tonks he played in across the southwest. For me, cabs are a part of travelling from point A to point B---since that memorable ride nearly 20 years ago, one song, in one cab, has left an imprint on my life.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment