Search This Blog

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Without them, you wouldn’t be reading this.


In order to come into this world, it’s rather important to have a mother. Sure, it helps to have a father, but for some reason you don’t see the word “Dad” written on many men’s arms so I guess “Mom” ranks a bit higher in the order of priority. That’s okay, I fully agree. For those of you who were not aware, and either was I, Mother’s Day actually dates back to the Greek and Roman days, but it was in 1914, when President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed Mother’s Day to be a national holiday. (It’s only fitting that Father’s Day became a national holiday more than 50 years later.)

I have never been a Mom nor do I plan to be, but I do know the amount of work they do for the family. Sure husband’s, father’s and we Dad’s add to the household, but we really don’t have the right stuff to be a Mom. Whether it’s the obvious stuff, or just the patience it takes to raise children, deal with home matters, or show real interest in whether the color of the walls are ecru, white or mauve.

If you are a regular reader of “Snap. Shot.” you probably know there was one less phone call I made today; this is the first Mother’s Day I did not call my Mom. It’s not like we didn’t have a conversation telepathically, we just didn’t need to use Ma Bell. It is very odd knowing my Mom is in another place and I am not able to wish her “Happy Mother’s Day”---but I do believe wherever she is and whatever she is making (maybe her famous rice dish, mushroom and barley soup, or one of many great meals) someone is eating very well tonight.

We have a lot of Mom’s in our family---the best part about them is, they all have taken their role as Mom as serious as my Mom did. They are very compassionate, loving, and they have more patience than I will ever have. The funniest part about them is, they all have total control over their spouses. Sorry, guys, but we all know it’s true---and we don’t dare admit anything different or we will regret it. Okay, maybe we will be able to live to see tomorrow, but we will certainly wish we could have taken back those words.

The photo above was the last picture taken of all of the Mom’s in our family at the same time. This date has been brought up in “Snap. Shot.” a number of times---it was not only my birthday, but has now become a very special day I will never forget, for me, “it’s now Mother’s Day.” Mom, I miss you very much, I am sure wherever you are, you’re eating bridge mix and playing Mah-jongg with your friends.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment