Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The portrait.


For most of us, when we are asked if we would like to have a portrait taken, the word, “no” cannot come out fast enough. This is one of the fun parts of being a photographer. You hear the word “no” but you “know” you are going to take the picture.

So what do you do?

In some instances it’s a simple explanation; you calmly explain you have been hired to take a picture and whereas you realize they don’t want to have it taken, you really need to get this done. When that doesn’t work, and it usually does not, you then turn on the charm, make them laugh, and if it gets really bad, tell them to stick out their tongues. It’s hard to believe but 99% of the people, no matter how young or how old, will do this. The kids will also jump in the air, spin around, and make funny faces. Once they have done this, and they usually will, they’re in the palm of your hand.

I really don’t like taking portraits, but I do it for 2 reasons: Mom’s and Dad’s love them, and they pay you to do it. Hey if you are going to do something you really are not as into as say…sports photography, you might as well be compensated for it. Even though I don’t love taking these types of pictures, when the set up is right, they do come out pretty darn good. We are fortunate to have the right cameras, lights, and the best trick we learned when we were studying to be wedding photographers---a white background. It makes your pictures literally jump off the paper.

Probably one of the funniest portraits I have taken recently was of an impersonator---he was dressed like Gene Simmons of the band, “KISS.” He had a fake tongue that looked like a serpent, and heels on that made him at least 6’5.” Funny thing, he actually looked like him. It was the suitcase that he wheeled around with him that let me know this was probably not the real guy. I had seen him the night before, didn’t have my camera (I know, I was shocked too) but was fortunate to find him again the next day. I asked if I could take his picture? I took at least 30. When we were done he asked me if I was a real photographer? I know it was the sound of the 30 pictures rattling off that gave away the fact I had a good camera. We spoke for a couple of minutes---he was actually a really nice guy and I might add $2.00 wealthier!

The photo above was taken during an impromptu photo session at our house. One of my daughters had to take photos of all of the women/girls in our household, we have many to choose from, and because I have trouble staying away from the camera, I snapped some of our youngest daughter. I am biased, but this is a portrait I would like to print and have in our home---trouble is, we have 10,000 others of all of the girls that I feel the same way about and no space to hang them! Maybe we just need a bigger house.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment