Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Something’s never change.


The springtime brings organized sports into our world up here in the north; along with these sports bring the parents. All is well until the parents show up.

I was talking with a co-worker today who has a 7-year old son. He was explaining to me that at age 7, there is competition to make the “all-star” travelling team in his area. Yes you read that right---1st graders are competing to be “all-stars.” I am not sure if you have been fortunate enough to watch a game of 1st graders playing baseball, but there is a big leap between this group and the majors. You wouldn’t know it by the parents in the stands however---but there really is.

Keep in mind, these are the same kids who place their gloves on top of their heads when they are in the outfield, spin around waiting for another out to be made, and best of all, pick grass out of sheer boredom; they must feel like it’s growing under their feet as they wait on the field for someone to do something to make the game interesting, I assume that’s why they pick it.

Kids today are being pushed even harder to perform than when I was growing up. The difference with me is, and was, I was not very good. There was little reason to think I was going to be playing in the game, yet alone on an all-star team. I did play in an all-star game one time; well actually our team won the division, so we all were on the team. Not all of us played, but we were on the all-star team. Yes, I was one of the guys who had “splinters” as they say.

I know there are some kids who are certainly “ahead of the game” for their age, but when you compare the number of players, for example in little league baseball, you are competing with more than 12,000,000 kids who are competing for that last spot on the bench in the major leagues. In other words, your odds are not good. As far as being a superstar in the game, you can imagine how winning the lottery appears to be a lot brighter than it did when you began reading “Snap. Shot.” today.

The photo above was taken at my daughter’s soccer game last weekend. When you are on the sidelines waiting to go into perform your magic, you have the choice either watch and cheer your team on---or you can pick grass. I will say, the grass at the end of the game was looking well manicured that day.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment