Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2010

It’s racing season.


I assume once the Kentucky Derby runs, it’s racing season. Known as the “Sport of Kings” this is probably one of the most beautiful sports I have ever photographed. When a man and/or woman climb aboard an animal of such massive size, and they run at the pace that would makes you understand where the term “horsepower” came from---it really puts it all into perspective.

Probably the most amazing part of horseracing would have to be the strength of the horses; their toned muscles and huge body stay balanced on very narrow legs. How they can handle the weight, running and pace is what makes this sport as spectacular as it is---and dangerous for both the horse and the rider.

As a photographer you would think you have a lot of time to snap the picture---after all you have plenty of forewarning; if you can’t see the horses, I assure you they can be heard. But, catching them at the right moment is much more difficult than many sports I have shot. Either you have trouble following the horses when they are at full gallop, or better yet, someone steps in front of you. At Arlington Race Track, where I have photographed races, there is probably no better layout to take pictures---I have asked if I could take photos from the infield and almost was allowed access. However, a few weeks later a photographer was shooting and it spooked one of the horses---and that was the end of that. They do not allow photographers anywhere but outside the fence.

Certainly vantage points are critical and what I have found works—practice makes for better pictures. Fortunately there is more than one race so you can practice on one and then go for it in later races. I am sure if I were at the Kentucky Derby I would practice on every race leading up to the “Run for the Roses.” I was not aware that on “Derby Day” there are about 10 races with the Kentucky Derby running second from last. Oh what we learn in “Snap.Shot.”

The photo above was taken at the start of one of the latter races the day I was at Arlington Race track. I was determined to catch the horses coming out of the gate as they say, and was very fortunate to have a camera that takes 7 frames a second. If I had a point and shoot it would have been a blur or just missed. I really like horseracing…I only wish Sports Illustrated would ask me to photograph at one of the Triple Crown Races, I would love to show you the pictures.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment