Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

All aboard.


In the next few weeks, the annual carnival will invade the community where I live. It will have all the usual rides, games and food for everyone to enjoy. I guess that’s the best way to look at it? The carnival arrives on Tuesday, sets up on Wednesday and is all set to go on Thursday; it’s the same way every year. One difference that occurred last year was rain and cold; the kids were crushed, the parents were too. Not really. Of course bad weather means little to kids who are determined to be at the carnival, and their determination means we parents don’t have a choice. We’re there.

Last year I saw one of the carnival workers who I photographed the year before. He remembered me. I am not sure if this is a good thing, or he was so flattered by the photo I gave him. I suspect he remembered me as the guy with the camera who was taking pictures; something tells me these guys see this all as a routine, but every once in a while something stands out---like a photographer. Who knows?

I will be back this year, as I really do enjoy photographing carnival rides; if you are ever interested in taking carnival pictures, and have a camera that adjusts speeds, F-stops and other camera “verbiage” I really don’t understand, it’s quite simple to do. You set your “film” speed up high (this would be the ISO), slow down the shutter speed and find the right F-stop (you can take practice shots) that make the pictures rich in color. You will be amazed how they come out---the photos have blur that creates motion and also makes you feel like you are really there. Sometimes it’s so real you swear you have motion sickness!

Other sites at the carnival that are fun to photograph are the game and food areas. I don’t know why, it’s probably the colors, but these always have a look and feel to them that brings the carnival to life. Best part is…you don’t have to play the games (they are not winnable anyway) and you don’t have to eat the food. (Enough said on that.)

One game/machine that up until this week I had never seen was “Zoltar” the fortune-teller machine. (If you have seen the movie “Big” you know Zoltar.) I was at an industry show in Las Vegas and as I turned the corner, who was there? You got it…Zoltar. This time he was plugged in—he wasn’t in Big---and he gave me my fortune. I hope it comes true.

The photo above was taken outside of the hotel I was staying at in Las Vegas---The New York, New York. The roller coaster takes riders on the cab ride of their life---look at the front of the first car--- with dips and twists all around the outside of the hotel. You don’t have to listen to hear if it’s coming, the screams and ground movement long before it arrives let’s you know it’s coming. This made it very easy to photograph. What I like most about this picture is—the rich color, the dramatic feel, and knowing after all the garbage I ate on this trip that I am not on it!

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment