Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

Away from home.


When it comes to being rural, I am not. Not even close. But for someone who doesn’t want to live on a farm or small city, I really do like to visit. One of my favorite subjects are barns---they may not smile or show emotion, but they are just beautiful to look at especially with blue skies and white clouds in the background.

Although I have not lived in what would be deemed rural America, my father was born in a small town in Iowa. Once while visiting Pella, IA, I stopped by the town he was born, Monroe, and walked around. I was in a suit and you can bet I was out of place---but I felt very much a part of being there. The year I went was my Dad’s 75th birthday and to help him celebrate I took a picture of the water tower (it had the name “Monroe Wildcats” on it) and then called the Chamber of Commerce. My reason? I wanted the Mayor to wish my Dad happy 75th. It turned out the Mayor only worked part time but the woman who I spoke with said, “I know he would be happy to do it.”

As it turned out, I don’t think it was as well received as I had thought it would be---it was hokey but how often do you turn 75? For those keeping track, that would be once.

My wife’s family lives in South Texas; think really South Texas and you are on track. It’s about 30 minutes from the border of Mexico. This past year we drove from Chicago to Harlingen, TX, where they live, and vowed to never do it again. But we did see a lot of rural America along the way---if you have never driven in Texas you are missing a lot of open land and a span of about 700+ miles from one end to the other. I had no idea a state could be that big.

The photo above is from my wife’s Uncle’s ranch. He had just purchased a herd of cattle and, well, we were able to get up close and personal. I was behind a barbed-wire fence when I took the picture as there was a bull nearby. When I took started to take them it was if they were ready to pose—especially the calf. I am not sure if it was more curiosity or the desire to see if I wanted to play, however I was just fine from where I stood as I did not want to meet his Dad up close.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment